Tilly carb question

Hey guys, last season I ran a hemi 212 limited modified on gas, with I believe a Tilly HL304 from Dustin at Comp Carbs. Awesome carb, fun little package.

Being on gas, naturally you experience much higher temps than with alky, so much so that at the end of my 20ish minute runs I could hardly even touch the intake manifold.

I've had the idea of getting my machinist to produce a plastic insulator that would sit between the head and manifold, in order to prevent the intake and carb from absorbing so much heat, is there any issues with doing this?

I've read on EC's website that with pumper/diaphram style carbs like the Tillotson, its important to ensure the carb gets the right amount of pulse from the engine, and if the intake runner is too long then this could be hindered.

Would it really be problematic to add say, a 3/8 thick plastic insulator between the manifold and head? Does anyone see any other issues this could cause aside from hurting the pulse signal?

Also, I would probably have to cut my own gaskets for this addition, what would be acceptable to use for that?

Thanks for any help/insight anyone can provide 👍

What did EC's tell you?
EC didn't tell me anything personally, but they did state on their site - and I may be drastically simplifying this - that guys who try to make their intake manifolds longer seeking more performance usually have to be careful they don't end up hurting themselves in the form of a weakened fuel signal.

I have the feeling a simple 3/8-1/2 thick plastic insulator will not actually do anything in the grand scheme of things, but am here with this post to see what people think of the idea before I go and actually take the time to have it done. Depending on my responses here, I will afterwards contact EC directly to see what they think. I just wanted to test the waters here first rather than bug EC with simple matters while they are probably busy dealing with important things.

Any good paper gasket material should work.
Whatever you use needs to be stable at 450+*.
I would keep it narrow 1/4" .
Still need the pulse hole .
Even in the 60's it was considered useful .
Different material though.

Any good paper gasket material should work.
Whatever you use needs to be stable at 450+*.
I would keep it narrow 1/4" .
Still need the pulse hole .
Even in the 60's it was considered useful .
Different material though.
Thanks alot for your response and recommendations. 1/4" is thinner than I initially thought, although anything is definitely going to help.

Hey guys, last season I ran a hemi 212 limited modified on gas, with I believe a Tilly HL304 from Dustin at Comp Carbs. Awesome carb, fun little package.

Being on gas, naturally you experience much higher temps than with alky, so much so that at the end of my 20ish minute runs I could hardly even touch the intake manifold.

I've had the idea of getting my machinist to produce a plastic insulator that would sit between the head and manifold, in order to prevent the intake and carb from absorbing so much heat, is there any issues with doing this?

I've read on EC's website that with pumper/diaphram style carbs like the Tillotson, its important to ensure the carb gets the right amount of pulse from the engine, and if the intake runner is too long then this could be hindered.

Would it really be problematic to add say, a 3/8 thick plastic insulator between the manifold and head? Does anyone see any other issues this could cause aside from hurting the pulse signal?

Also, I would probably have to cut my own gaskets for this addition, what would be acceptable to use for that?

Thanks for any help/insight anyone can provide 👍
you will be fine running a 1/4-3/8 bakelite style insulator on a Tilly carb. manifolds have varied through the years and were much longer the past. we run methanol and require nearly twice the fuel so I think running gas is even less work on the pump as well. good luck

you will be fine running a 1/4-3/8 bakelite style insulator on a Tilly carb. manifolds have varied through the years and were much longer the past. we run methanol and require nearly twice the fuel so I think running gas is even less work on the pump as well. good luck
Good points there. Thank you for your input 👍

Back