timing on SBO

When you move the timing, all you do is re-position the power curve at a different RPM. There is very little or no power gain. It just changes the ROA. A few minutes on a Dyno will prove that me and Hobbs are correct.
i run tillotson 3" with a 58mm crank,on methanol with a 28mm flatslide, 310-246 cam, i run 34* timing, if i go to 36* would that give more bottom end or top end, or say i went to 32* what would that do?
It seems the answer is .
It does not add power.
It changes the rpm the peak power is made .

When it comes to BS opinions, Freezeman, you are the king. Most of your responses are nothing more than what you have read and it seems that you have a convoluted way of interpreting them. Every response I have given is based on what I have actually experienced with the question. As far as you taking my responses personally, well, I don't give a Rats Behind about that.

Flattop, Now you've got it.............. By increasing the timing, the ROA (Rate Of Acceleration) will increase slightly and the RPM will decrease slightly, however, the heat will build up dramatically, because you are approaching the detonation point.

I stand by my original statement because I have tested and play with timing on big cars as well as go karts. If my big car is spinning coming out the corner we take timing out to kill some bottom end and I know for a fact it helps. I have a personal tuner that goes with me and he has forgot more than I know. I asked him to make sure I didn’t have it backwards and he said I was spot on. So to the OP this is my personal experience. To the other posters believe whatever you want.
For every engine, design, piston location in the cylinder and velocity, compression, fuel, and more, there is a narrow "window" for optimal ignition timing. The reason that we take timing away (2*) from an engine to kill some torque in some big car applications (such as a 13* 16:1 410CI sprint car engine on alcohol) is that it is considerably safer than adding 2.* If you're already running tuned on the ragged edge, advancing 2* will put you in the detonation and melting piston zone.
On some of our 410 engines, we have a crank trigger @ optimal ignition timing, and the mag times 2* less on a toggle switch in the cockpit. If the track slicks off, we can knock 2* of timing out of the ignition with a flip of the switch and keep from blowing the tires off on a restart.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

WOW, i was just wondering how to get more bottom end with timing, wich way to go, up or down and after allllllllll this, i still kinda dont know.

Easiest way is to change the cam.....
i run a 310/246 with 1.3 rockers, but thats not what im after, dont want to change the engine program, it works good, just was wondering if i went up from 34* timing, would that move the power curve up or down, or do i need to go down on timing for more bottom end just to pull a little harder out the turns on a small track.

i run a 310/246 with 1.3 rockers, but thats not what im after, dont want to change the engine program, it works good, just was wondering if i went up from 34* timing, would that move the power curve up or down, or do i need to go down on timing for more bottom end just to pull a little harder out the turns on a small track.
The only way to know for sure how your engine will respond to advancing for retarding the ignition timing is to put it on a dyno.

Back