timing with 6619 wheel

HD racing

i have a #4 offset keyway. my flywheel is the older 6619. what is my total timing? also what key do i need to get 32-33 advance timing? thanks

Everything depends on how your keyway was cut into the crank shaft. I had one that even after inserting a 4 degree key my timing was still at only 22 degrees! After that I started lapping flywheel to crank, no key, use degree wheel and torque the flywheel to the taper of the shaft. The key only serves as a guide for aligning the flywheel. It doesn't hold the flywheel in place. With this method you can set your timing anywhere you want it.

DD

if nothing else, get with jpm57 on here or call arc racing. they can let you know zakly what you need! me? i'm getting one of the new ones that are "preset" at 32 with the keyway straight up...haven't gotten to the point of being comfortable lapping the wheel and using a degree wheel....maybe later, but not right now on this build....

This is the very issue why I dont like when someone tells someone else to run a certain key. Even the manufacture attaches a number to them. This clone cranks can vary up to 6 degrees. Without using a degree wheel you just can not be sure.

if nothing else, get with jpm57 on here or call arc racing. they can let you know zakly what you need! me? i'm getting one of the new ones that are "preset" at 32 with the keyway straight up...haven't gotten to the point of being comfortable lapping the wheel and using a degree wheel....maybe later, but not right now on this build....
Move that task 'up' on ur priority list Mikey....you'll be glad U did....IMO :)

Ok thanks guys. Im like mikey i just need to get more comfortable using a degree wheel.
learning how to use a degree wheel should be priority number one! It's either that or continue "guessing"! After you've done that, make timing marks on the engine and flywheel and check the timing with a timing light!
This involves some expense, I know, and some training, but going to a race, with all the expense that involves, it's cheap insurance. The last thing I would want to do is go to a race hoping my Chinese clone has the timing set correctly.

Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.

Yup , figure out that degree wheel. Not only for ignition timing but cam timing , valve lift at a certain degree , ect.
To me it is actually fun to look at so many different things once you get it set up and play with it a little. Takes a little to get used to but is priceless once you do so.

Back