tire help

We will be runing a road race in a few weeks. We are using a older ofset chassis was wondering if any one had some advise on size of tires and rims I shuld use? Also I have some tires now but was wondering if u grind them like we do for dirt or what the proper care of asp tires?

Where will you be running? What are the rules? Is it open wheel and tire? When you say "road race" do you mean a sprint track or street race or enduro (giant track) race?

Last edited:
It is a open tire, Clyde Gran Prix Clyde Ohio, It is a Street Race. Mostly left hand turns. One s curve. Has one really long stretch then 3 shorter ones.

Look up garrittp65 on here. He can make offsets work on just about any street course. If I had my choice, I would bring a set of brand new Vega Yellows (Garritt will tell you Hoosier's). 6.00 on the left rear. A very small amount of stagger and cross with a lot of nose weight. I am not an expert on offset's so I cant give you percentages or numbers, but this is what I have seen guys that race SIRA regularly do.

Try this link for some more info:

http://karting.4cycle.com/showthread.php?21818-Lto-on-sprint-track&p=194226#post194226

I don't understand why you would want stagger with a long straight. I don't know why you would want uneven cross if you have left and right turns.

Unless the track is a perfect oval, it has to have a minimum of two turns. Now you can call them, 1 & 2 and 3 & 4, but in most cases there's just two turns. If you add a right-hand turn, you have to add another left hand turn.

An LTO kart could be an advantage in the left-hand turns, if it's set up right, but it will suffer in the right-hand turns. If I was going to do it, I would have equal stagger in the front and the back. I would have equal caster. I would have equal camber. I would get the rear tread width much wider. I would make the kart as much like a Sprint kart as possible.

I think most would agree that, on a Sprint track, a Sprint kart is best.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

You dont try to make an oval kart something it is not or you won't have much advantage in the lefts to make up for the rights. Even if you could set it up identical to a straight up kart, it would not be ideal.

I have raced at Clyde and won many times. An oval kart is preferred. Keep stagger to a minimum as mentioned. The right handle corners are not what I would even consider a turn. More a slight bend. Oval karts also work very well through the quick chicanes

if it only has one slight right hand turn chances are setting up for the left would be an advantage, because you spend a lot more time turning left. there is more to gain from a setup favoring the left handers.

Back