Tire Hot Box or Roller Question

EmonacoZ71

Trying to figure out the best option for a hot box, or tire roller on a budget. I had a couple of ideas in mind. Right now my option has just been applying prep by hand and then letting it soak in and then applying another coat and repeating this process several times a night for a few nights during the week. Obviously this does not apply an evenly spreaded coat each time and can be spotty when trying to see what the durometer is. I'm just looking for a solid configuration to be able to apply prep appropriately to improve the quality of my tires for the races. I know buying a hot box would be considerably more expensive than trying to rig up one. So I was looking for ideas.

Thanks guys.

I've seen guys use truck bed tool boxes with a cheap HF heat gun poked through one end. You can get rotisserie motors from Lowes, etc.
You might also check with Todd Weber (Jesusfreak) on here -- he sells all the parts to build your own hot box and is a great guy to deal with.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com

Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry

765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Get just the tire roller from Rebel Fab, then an old truck tool box like Brian mentioned, put the tire roller in the tool box.
There is some vids on youtube that show how to disperse the heat in the box with a heat gun so it heats evenly

Get just the tire roller from Rebel Fab, then an old truck tool box like Brian mentioned, put the tire roller in the tool box.
There is some vids on youtube that show how to disperse the heat in the box with a heat gun so it heats evenly

Have not been able to find the YouTube video you referred to in your post. Please post a link to them. I have had problems getting even heat distribution when using a heat gun in my box. Thanks

How were you determining how even it was ? we have tested a lot with variations of boxes/tubes etc. when using a temp probe,youd be surprised how even the tire temps are with just the gun in one end really is...if you are using the touch the box method, the end oppsite the gun will be way hotter than the other end.

Griffin Kinsey
Rebel fabricators

How were you determining how even it was ? we have tested a lot with variations of boxes/tubes etc. when using a temp probe,youd be surprised how even the tire temps are with just the gun in one end really is...if you are using the touch the box method, the end oppsite the gun will be way hotter than the other end.

Griffin Kinsey
Rebel fabricators

Hey Griffin. It is a hot box I bought from you (with roller inside). The way I check it is using a lazer temperature gun to check the actual tire surface temps while I'm heating or warming them. And yes, the tires fartherest from the heat gun end are always hotter than the closest ones. I constantly have to rotate the tires to keep them evenly heated. I also installed an inline thermostat to automatically keep box temperature at what ever temp I want it. Works great except the uneven temps of the tires during extended warming periods of time. I tried extending the heat outlet inside the box with a section of PVC pipe drilled with 1/2 inch holes length wise, but the heat from the gun would melt it.

You have to use metal tubing, not pvc, conduit works good

Yeah....I figured some sort of metal tubing extention would do it. I'll look for some conduit the right size to fit the heat box pipe. What size outlet holes do you drill and I assume you cap the end off on the conduit extention?

Back