Tire life

ENGRacing

Site Supporter
Loaded question and I know there is no simple answer but I'm going to ask it anyways... and let's say this pertains to local Saturday night racing

How many laps do you put on a set of tires before you consider them dead / wore out?

Rubber, lap times, track abrasiveness, etc. all play a part, but generally speaking what has your experience been as far as laps / races go.

In the area I'm in we typically run Vega and Maxxis, but everybody is welcome to chime in.

Don't throw your popcorn when I say this, but last race I ran a set of White Maxxis with 180-200 laps on them. Didn't win the race but was competitive (before I get hit with "there must not have been any competition out there", I know I know competition level varies greatly from track to track and night to night but this is all relatively speaking).

Loaded question and I know there is no simple answer but I'm going to ask it anyways... and let's say this pertains to local Saturday night racing

How many laps do you put on a set of tires before you consider them dead / wore out?

Rubber, lap times, track abrasiveness, etc. all play a part, but generally speaking what has your experience been as far as laps / races go.

In the area I'm in we typically run Vega and Maxxis, but everybody is welcome to chime in.

Don't throw your popcorn when I say this, but last race I ran a set of White Maxxis with 180-200 laps on them. Didn't win the race but was competitive (before I get hit with "there must not have been any competition out there", I know I know competition level varies greatly from track to track and night to night but this is all relatively speaking).
All that depends on track conditions. Ive had Vegas we run for multiple years, Ive had some that were dry rotted and still were fast. If the track is slick and youre running off prep the tire will last you a long time, run it until it has no more speed in it.

On a higher bite track where you arent prepping as much is when the age and condition of the tire is more important. In other words when you are running off rubber and not prep.

Plus added to Chris post, even If the track is not what anyone refers to as higher grip racing surface , get yourself a handful of dry material and look and feel what you have and determine if there is any abrasive material as part of it's make up, and if so how much because that abrasive material will show more wear on whatever tires.

Depends on how well you take care of your tires on and off the track. We run burris and have 15 year old tires that are not pretty but they are still fast at a Saturday night local race. We try to keep a few sets separated for aggressive prep the rest of our tires are wiped lightly with medium prep or no prep at all. If it's a $$$ race we tend to use 1 of 3 different sets that are cut and prepped for different track conditions.

Back