Tire machine?????

what sort of tire machine??? tire cutter, tire refinisher, tire washer?? there are many machines.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=264347257001825&set=vb.100002796593497&type=2&theater[/video]

I have cut hundreds of tires on a machine like that...we have re done templets to our likeing and it works very well....we do not surface on the same machine though....to hard on machine in my opinion....

Nothing wrong with finishing tires on an SBC or similar machine, just be aware that they come from the factory with plastic gears on the cross feed, and the main drive gears/belt are prone to strip if you really lean on your finishing sander/grinder. I still finish tires on our lathes (SBC & Jones) but you have to be reasonable with them.

The ones that torg builds would work fine for the racer or small shop. You can build one easily enough with the Harbor Freight lathe as your starting point and a little fabricating effort on your part. Coming up with "good" templates will be the most difficult part. Being that this style lathe uses templates that are inverted compared to Jones, means you would have to trace and invert your drawing to cad/cam. I've also spent hours carefully copying tires that had a nice profile with a profilometer, then traced that to cardboard, then to a friend who has access to a computer and machine to cut the template. If you had to pay for this service, it would be ridiculous expensive. If you get to this point in building your own, or just looking to add to your current templates, check around some of your local bigger machine shops for someone who has a cnc lazer machine, or water jet that you can talk into a favor or two. :) For what it's worth, lazer cutters are available now very reasonably -- even the Chinese have knocked off the once million dollar machines with 4 & 5,000 dollar machines that would do just fine for making templates out of thin plate steel.

Whatever you decide, be sure to consider our bits when you do get a tire machine - they cut better and last longer than anything else we've found. :)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com

Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry

765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back