Tire Mounting

Fab54

Uggg,

I am a beginner. Just got 4 Vega MBS tires. Put the 8" tire on the 10" rim. That was no easy feat. Threw the tire band on. Sprayed Windex all over rim/tire bead. Inflated to 60 pounds. Would not pop the beads. Man those tires are hard. Anyone have any tricks (besides heating the tire)? :mad:

You will either have to buy or borrow a tire band. This is a must for safety and will also keep the tire from stretching to much while inflating. More than likely you will need more psi to seat the tire, I would guess around 80 to 90 psi.

He just said he used a tire band. Track tac makes something for mounting, supposed to be really slick. Used anything from soap and water, wd40, and armor all. Sometimes left rears are tough, and have to be flipped and will mount right up. In the winter heating up the tire makes a big difference. Usually sit them in the house until ready to mount them up.

Uggg,

I am a beginner. Just got 4 Vega MBS tires. Put the 8" tire on the 10" rim. That was no easy feat. Threw the tire band on. Sprayed Windex all over rim/tire bead. Inflated to 60 pounds. Would not pop the beads. Man those tires are hard. Anyone have any tricks (besides heating the tire)? :mad:

You will either have to buy or borrow a tire band. This is a must for safety and will also keep the tire from stretching to much while inflating. More than likely you will need more psi to seat the tire, I would guess around 80 to 90 psi.

He did put it in a tire band.... but yes it will take more than 60lbs to seat them

Ok I drove down to NAPA and got a gallon of RUGLYDE. Way more slippery than windex. This allowed me to get one side to pop all the way but the other side stops a half inch short of the rim edge. The rims/tires are brand new. Yes I am using a tire band and was up to 90 psi. This is a royal pain.

I have been having issues mounting these lately as well. You need one hell of a compressor and ideally bead the right sides after the compressor just fills that way the most pressure in the tank at this point. also the sun is your friend, sit them out in the sun and get them warm before trying to bead them.

Matthew Laukaitis
Laukaitis Racing
Razor Edge Tire Service

I have been using a 5 gal bucket for years, put the tire in it and air it up works good for me
Why would the guy want to use a bucket when he has a tire band? .....please don't tell people to use a bucket....if you want to use one thats your choice.

Do you have the valve core out? This will help if you don't. Also when putting the tires on the rims, put them on the back side of the wheel. It's allways entertaining to watch a rookie mount them up.

sounds like you have everything you need except heat! warm the tire and rim up pretty decent then lay the air to it every set of vegas ive mounted were always stubborn but heat will get you where you want to be! you also might try spraying a little windex on the inside of your tire ring before you put the tire in

If I take the valve out what type of device is used to put air in the tire? The regular air nozzle doesn't work without the valve....

If I take the valve out what type of device is used to put air in the tire? The regular air nozzle doesn't work without the valve....

There are air chucks that will fill without the valve core in it, you will need on of them, helps a lot without the valve core in.

Took the valve core out. Got a chuck for it. Lubed everything included the inside of the tire band and I am zero for four tires at 105 psi. I could be wrong but I am beginning to think they make the fit too tight. I am using outlaw wheels...... Maybe heat tomorrow. This really sucks.

Ok I am learning a whole bunch of new swear words. One tire down three to go. 120 psi on the compressor finally got one to pop. One thing I learned is I will NEVER buy another outlaw rim again. The lead on the inside of every rim is not designed to allow for the tire to blow up out to the edge uniformly. Every time the inside hangs up crooked. And as far as VEGAS are concerned, somebody should sue those *&#*^$(!#&$. It is IMPOSSIBLE to mount a VEGA tire with 60 psi max and no heat and they know it..........

It shouldn't take 16 hours to mount 4 tires. I'm ready to go back to the old days of split rims................

:mad::mad::mad:

Done. This is what finally worked.

Remove valve.
Heat tires in oven to about 125 degrees.
Coat outside of tire with RUGLYDE.
Put piece of wax paper around tire.
Coat again with RUGLYDE.
Put inside tire band.
Tighten band only moderately.
Crank compressor to 140 psi.
Coat beads/rim with RUGLYDE.
Attach air chuck.
Let the air fly.
PRAY.
3 of the tires popped at 120-130 psi.
The last tire popped at 140 psi.

Vega says 60 psi and no heat? THEY CAN STICK THEIR ^&$&%$&^%^&% INSTRUCTIONS WHERE THE SUN DOESN'T SHINE...........

I can't understand how anyone could do this with a plastic bucket without killing themselves.

Thanks to everyone offering help and suggestions.

Back