Tire prep 4 asphalt whats works

LEVIJ

I am a new kart racer dont have any dirt or asphalt history, looking for some good advice on tire preping i mainly run yellow vega,s i know most people say tire preping is not needed for vega's, but i have seen on several occaisions that other's at a few differant track's sneaking off and using some type of prep, any help or advice would be greatly appriciated

have some tires that have prep internally that work well....also have a set of red vegas that don't have any prep inside or outside and once you get heat into them, they hook really well....i've some friends that like to use hotlap for prepping the outside that works really good for the modified karts. don't know what they might use on the inside. but the hotlap turns the tires sticky and when you get heat into them, it really gives good grip....we also run with the cars and the outlaw latemodels put down a lot of rubber on the track and we race right after them, so we get a nice bite...specially in the corners....

? ?? Prep on "Asphalt" I would think asphalt has more to do with tire pressure, scuffing and set up............I'am new to this it's nice to know .....

i always thought (before getting into karting) that they wouldn't use any prep at all....but learned different! they don't prep at the track....but they do use it...specially for quallifying...that's what hotlap is best for...works great for karting...and yes...to go a lot faster!! then more you can stick in the corners, the better your lap times...

chassis set-up. scuffing, temps and tire pressures all are important on the asphalt...but every little bit helps!!

Heres some advice when using Vega MBS's on pavement....
Flathead Racing, RS & LR should be cut.
Animal & Clone Racing, Uncut tires, but LR should be cut.

2014 MBS tires somewhat need internal prep from testing this year.
1-3oz in the rights depending on air temp & 2oz in the LF. If its over 95 deg out, I don't see using any internal prep.
The 2014 tire takes a few extra laps to come in, and require more heat to generate better lap times.

The MBS Yellow vega was replaced this week by the MCS.......

the red vegas i use are from last year...don't know about the yellows or the mcs....but if i can get heat into the tires before the green, then they stick...if i can't, it usually takes about a lap at speed to get them to stick like i want them too...i race on a 3/8 mile medium banked paved oval with a clone...

If you are stuck running Spec'd Burris 55s what would you recommend? I've ran vegas and Firestones, but I'm running at couple of places that spec Burris 55s and have never ran them until now.

Back