Tire prep

ecorey23

I'm new to Karting an I just trying to figure out what's the best tire prep for dirt?
Also how soft do you need the tires to be?

It depends on a lot of things. What tires you are running (or are allowed to run) the type of dirt, how wet or dry it is kept...the factors go on and on. Local racers can probably tell you what you want to know. Scroll down to the Oval Racing treads and look at 'tires'. There are pages and pages of info and opinions just start reading. Be prepared to sit a while.

I'm gonna give you some advice that I wish I had gotten when we first started. Don't take advice on tires, prep, gear, or setup from anyone you race with (or might race with). At the end of the day, they might send you in the right direction(maybe not) but they're not going to be specific enough for it to truly benefit you. Racers outside your class can be helpful, but since they're in a different class they usually won't be able to be specific on questions you have. As far as tire prep, get with a product that has good support and stick with it. Most of the prep manufacturers out there have tech guys that will talk to you personally and get you on a good program. But resist the temptation to swap around just because somebody won by a nose and was on something different. If you think you're off due to the prep you used, get advice from them and adjust instead of starting over. The more variables you introduce, the more confusing it becomes. Race hard and have fun! :)

I'm new to Karting an I just trying to figure out what's the best tire prep for dirt?
Also how soft do you need the tires to be?

There is no "best" prep. There are preps that are "best" for the track and it's condition that night.
As far as duro on the tires, that requires much more information.

My suggestion would be to talk to a few tire guys (in your area and nationally) who offer preps. Pick one you feel comfortable with, confident in their knowledge, and stick with them.
I'd be glad to discuss our tire program and prep products with you.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

youre not going to "hit it" overnight with prepping, its A LOT OF TRIAL AND ERROR, probably the biggest challenge you'll face in karting, best thing to do is to buy some prep and keep in touch with the company with your successes and struggles and they will help you, I agree with the statement about looking to fellow racers for help, they will help enough to get you started, but soon as you start getting fast and start posing a threat to beat them, there is a great chance they will tell you the wrong things to do to keep you behind them. JMO

Back