Tire pressure splits

Collin

Should you keep your tire pressure splits the same on the front and back?
examples
Lf 6 Rf7
Lr 6 Rf7

Lf 6 Rf7
Lr 6.5 Rr7.5

So question is should lefts stay the same and rights stay the same on whatever you run?
Or is the 2nd example ok to do?

The only reason for tire air pressure splits of any kind is because tires across from each other will work with the track differently and you may need more or less grip out of one of them.

There's always an exception to prove every rule and the rule for tire pressure is:

Tire pressure relates to track(and tire) grip capabilities and the rule is "More grip more air pressure, Lower grip lower air pressure.".
That's it their ain't no more. ... :)

All a split up front means is your trying to get a little more air out of the left front tire.
If your fast then your right front tire is making perfect or exactly the grip you need and the only reason for less air in the left front is because your trying to get a little more grip out of it. That's it there ain't no more. ... :) ... maybe?????

Generally I do all our oval splits left to right -- with the exception being on big momentum tracks with high cross, I tend to run the same pressure in the left rear as in the right sides. This helps roll speed a bit, especially since much of the weight of the car is sitting on the LR most of the time.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Generally I do all our oval splits left to right -- with the exception being on big momentum tracks with high cross, I tend to run the same pressure in the left rear as in the right sides. This helps roll speed a bit, especially since much of the weight of the car is sitting on the LR most of the time.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
So matching the left rear with the right sides will help will roll speed?Will this work on a track like K3

pressure splits don't have to be left to right although I agree it might be the norm.
Nothing wrong with upping rear air if kart is tight. Or running lower RF to get kart to better plant front end.
Adjust air to give the kart more grip where it needs it

An air pressure adjustment because of a handling issue that enhanced the performance of the kart had nothing to do with what engine is on it, it's all about the handling issue your dealing with.
I was just asking because they say higher pressures on the Hoosier fk or a40 gives you better roll speed then running them lower.

I was just asking because they say higher pressures on the Hoosier fk or a40 gives you better roll speed then running them lower.
Every tire will give you better roll speed with higher air, but that doesn't mean it will hook up under every track condition.
Now total air differs based on total H.P the lower the h.p like predator the higher the air, sr predator stock engine will be close double air or even more than sr clone., the smaller the restrictor plate more air.

Tire pressure relates to track(and tire) grip capabilities and the rule is "More grip more air pressure, Lower grip lower air pressure.".
The amount of grip you have relates to prep, compound, track, brand, etc., and it also relates to "how fast your going per the amount of weight your carrying". ... see post #17
Now total air differs based on total H.P the lower the h.p like predator the higher the air, sr predator stock engine will be close double air or even more than sr clone., the smaller the restrictor plate more air.

My 2 cents is still on the reason for an air split is because you generally need a little bit more grip out of the left side tires then the right side tires.
And a little less air in the left side tires or tire will generally help give it the tire with a little less air a little more grip.
Using split is pretty much cut in stone because the need for a little more grip from the left side tires is also pretty much cut in stone.

The amount of grip you have relates to prep, compound, track, brand, etc., and it also relates to "how fast your going per the amount of weight your carrying". ... see post #17

My 2 cents is still on the reason for an air split is because you generally need a little bit more grip out of the left side tires then the right side tires.
And a little less air in the left side tires or tire will generally help give it the tire with a little less air a little more grip.
Using split is pretty much cut in stone because the need for a little more grip from the left side tires is also pretty much cut in stone.
This whole post is precipitated on all tires being capable of producing maximum grip, or at least relatively equal grip.

Not so long ago, or ,at least on older chassis designs, left rear tires were desired to be harder in durometer than rights.
Chassis design has evolved so tires of equal durometer can be correct design.
Those with the ability to correctly designate the tire duro and pressures will dominate.

This is the reason dirt racing is so challenging.
Both the attraction, and the repellant for our sport.

Air pressure, among other things is used to tune tire grip.

Should you keep your tire pressure splits the same on the front and back?
examples
Lf 6 Rf7
Lr 6 Rf7

Lf 6 Rf7
Lr 6.5 Rr7.5

So question is should lefts stay the same and rights stay the same on whatever you run?
Or is the 2nd example ok to do?

I suggest at this point per your post #1 question and your follow up question, you make your goal on air pressure and split to be what racing promotor said.
You asked: "So whatever pressures I'm running should I always keep the both rights the same pressures and both lefts the same pressures.".
He replied:
Yes that's the goal, but sometimes you'll make a slight pressure change based on handling.

That for now will get you as close to "Set It and Forget It" as possible.

Back