tire question

camaroz28

has anyone ever tried running the 8.10 on all 4 on an asphalt track like per-say an asphalt modified has 15 or 10in tires just different circumference

Good question, or why don't we run 7.10s on the back and 5.00s on the front like back in the day resembling northern dirt mods and sprints. I have a few theories, lets see what some more qualified people think first :)

We run restricted champs...I personally think that the 9" tires are to much tire for a green plate engine. But talking to peeps they say I'm crazy to even think about running the 8". Id like to try it before the end of year.

more rubber more grip more grip fast lap times

just make the car have more or less stagger or weight %s

atleast at mahoning valley when modifieds went from 10 to 15inch rubber times improved, it should be the same just smaller scale?

KKania is on the right track. Bigger tires don't mean more grip, in fact a narrower tire on the right is getting more down pressure per square in than a wide tire. Think of a wide and narrow tire on sand and go from there.

Mike

KKania is on the right track. Bigger tires don't mean more grip, in fact a narrower tire on the right is getting more down pressure per square in than a wide tire. Think of a wide and narrow tire on sand and go from there.

Mike

my thoughts? the right front takes a beating...in the turn you have roll under from the kart wanting to go one way and the tire trying to hold the track, thus the contact patch lessens and the sidewall rolls under, decreasing the foot print. a smaller tire would roll under too much and you would loose contact much more than with a wider tire. the rear is playing follow the leader and although you still have roll under, it's not as pronounced and on exit you want as much rubber as you can get to grip and get the launch off. going with a smaller tire (such as they use on the road courses for karts) in the oval setting wouldn't be as good. I've watched when we've had road course karts show up and they can't seem to get the grip and get wicked loose and start pushing like a freight train on ice half way through the corners. not to say that a slightly narrower tire wouldn't work, it's just my opinion that you wouldn't get the grip or the stability that a wider tire on the right front gives. likewise, i think that you could get away with a narrower tire on the right rear and it would work....something like less rolling resistance compared to a wider tire. with the rear following the foot prints of the front tires, they are used more for corner exit and may feel loose as a goose on entry, it would be good coming off.

haven't really set down and looked, but with the speeds we carry into the corners, you can see the roll under and understand it a little better. i put a piece of duct tape on the right front from the inside of the rim to about three inches onto the contact patch...make a hard run and then look at the tape. it will show how far the roll under is....

jsut from my observations without any "scientific evidence" to support it.... :)

Back