Tire warmer questions

A couple questions regarding the use of warmers---Is this the proper order--1 set air pressures, 2 put warmers on, 3 remove warmers and apply prerace prep,(don't adjust pressures ), 4 go to the grid ? Also how long do the warmers need to be on to be affective and lastly, it is supposed to be in the 40s Sat. night, will the warmers be beneficial? Thanks for any responses. John

I dont use warmers, but use a torch or hotbox Instead, I have noticed that if you set the air before heating them, air pressure will increase as the tire warms up. I'd advise putting the warmers on, let them sit, and do your Prw and air pressure adjustments after you take off the warmers and start to head to the grid.

I dont use warmers, but use a torch or hotbox Instead, I have noticed that if you set the air before heating them, air pressure will increase as the tire warms up. I'd advise putting the warmers on, let them sit, and do your Prw and air pressure adjustments after you take off the warmers and start to head to the grid.
If you adjust air after the tire is heated when it cools the air pressure will be too low..... set the air before you heat the tire and your done

Seems to me that you would want the air pressure to be set when the tire is close to the temperature it will be when racing. Obviously, if it's 50 degrees outside, that's nowhere close to what the tires will be on the track during a race.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

If you adjust air after the tire is heated when it cools the air pressure will be too low..... set the air before you heat the tire and your done
X's 2 set before and leave it, Your tires will be flat if re-adjusted while hot , warmers are to help fire the tire off , they will cool back to the initial setting in a lap or three ! Listen to Lynnracing!

Yep, Lynn and Gearhead are right on.

Actually, I leave the warmers on right up until you get to the grid. EVen if you don't have them plugged in, they'll still keep the tire wrapped and warmer. At the last minute that you need to put your prep on, take the warmers off, prep, and drop the car on the grid and go. Air psi will still be a bit too high, but the extra tire temp will give you some added grip for the first couple laps too...as the tire cools, the air psi drops, and by then you've already gotten your advantage of pre-heating the tires and the tires will stay warmer throughout the run. Definitely more helpful on pavement, but we use them on dirt with big temp swings like we see this time of the year.
FWIW, the key to "keeping" temp in the tires longer into the run is getting the wheels warm. The aluminum will help store the heat longer - that's why you see a lot of guys use a hot box too. A torch would be my last choice (aside from most tracks not allowing open flames) - a heat gun could be used - just be sure to heat the wheels also.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

ive seen people set air on grid after pulling warmers off or tires out of the hot box, by the time they were done pacing and ready to start the track all 4 tires were flat. always set air before any kind of heat is applied.

Back