Tire wear guess

Tulsakevin

Site Supporter
I have noticed my front right tire has the "abnormal" wear pattern.

There are things I know and some I do not know. I know that my son and I started this year, we have the same Birel RY30, we did about 100 laps or so over the last several weekends, and even at the start of an unweighted Kart, my front right tire had started this wear pattern, just last week I scaled the karts out, unfortunately I do not have the weights of each tire, but I know I was within 2 lbs L and Right. After the kart was weighted, the problem seem to accelerate, could be it was just deep enough to start throwing more rubber. The track JRP speedway in tulsa OK, has a banked left hander at top speed and goes to a straight with another near top speed left hander, a few lefts and rights but much slower. I would think it could just be due to front end push and just rubber being slid off the inner part of the tire, and it could be, but my sons kart, hasn't had any wear issues. I would the camber spacer ? appears to be set the same on both of the karts, I am weighing it at 375lb class and he is 280 but I wouldn't think that would make that much difference. I have no numbers on what the camber or toe in is.

The wear pattern has a noteable wear on the in side of the tire, with very little outside wear, I would think it is an over negative camber issues, but it has a trough that goes deeper about 1 cm wide about 2 cm from the inner edge of the tire, and the most medial 1 cm of tire seems to be worn very little and has alot of build up of rubber. All of the other tires look great, no abnl wear, even surfaces.

My guesses it could be getting very hot and the left handers just pile up the rubber, though running at several different, well within normal pressures, especially on cold days and my son did not have any issues probably not. Possible camber, but again similar set up and it doesn't explain why I have the trough and the near normal heigh of tire on the most medially side of the tire

So in summary, what I don't know is a lot. I do not know the 4 corner weight (I lost the exact numbers but we were about 1%off of 50/50 wedge and 2 lbs from front right and left. I don't have the camber or toe in, but the other kart was set up by the same person who has decades worth of experience. Tire pressue, we have been a session at 14,12, 10 and 9 (air temps have been in the 40-50s) Post session temp and pressures unkown. Our focus has been almost entirely about getting around the track and as much seat time as possible. Will start to monitor tire temp and cold/hot pressures better next time as well as get the weight numbers again.

I have pictures, but my posting permission has me blocked from posting pictures. Hope my description helps, if you need more description let me know, or if I could pm the pictures (if possible) or email the pictures to someone who can post pictures let me know.

I've had odd wear patterns on tires caused by low air pressure.The higher C.G. of your kart could be making a lot of difference as compared to your son.

Back