to skip or not to skip

Okay great feed, this last weekend I weighed my sprocket hub, a 60 skip tooth sprocket and hardware and it came in at 1 pound 8 ounces. Change the hub and weighed in at 13 ounces total. Less rotating mass....better acceleration ?

You have saved 11 oz., a 370 lb. class kart is close to 6000 oz. you have reduced weight by less than .2 % ( that's two tenths of a percent ). Think you'll notice the difference in seat of the pants ?

You have saved 11 oz., a 370 lb. class kart is close to 6000 oz. you have reduced weight by less than .2 % ( that's two tenths of a percent ). Think you'll notice the difference in seat of the pants ?

Not that it is much of a difference, but the weight saved is rotating weight, which is much more beneficial than static weight. To do a comparison, I would suggest specifying the % saved in all the moving parts rather than the overall weight of the kart.

I fully understand rotating weight and it's effect. In reality you have to accelerate the total mass once the wheels are on the ground.

Back