toe in ?

Actually it was 2 manufactures that got the WKA rule changed and the explanation I got from them was pretty crazy

dead on about moving the rear axle forward or back, it just changes the Yaw or the track the rear tires track in relationship to the front end, it also slows weight transfer to the RR and quickens the return to the LR

I set my toe as close to zero or even 1/16 in, deflection in the steering will create toe out on both
you said, "rear axle forward or back", but didn't you mean to say, "right side of the axle forward or back"? Now me, I pretty much knew what you were talking about, but I'm told the newbies here need special handling, and they may have been a little confused. LOL

I always set my toe-in at 1/16 total. The thinking being that, at speed, (with my limited budget there was no way to test it) the deflection, if there was any, would have the 2 front tires rolling in a straight line. The way I see toe-in being taught here, if there is any deflection, a tire set at 1/16 toe-out would have, (if there was deflection) even more toe-out. I've never raced dirt, but just trying to imagine it in my head, that doesn't seem like a good idea.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

you said, "rear axle forward or back", but didn't you mean to say, "right side of the axle forward or back"? Now me, I pretty much knew what you were talking about, but I'm told the newbies here need special handling, and they may have been a little confused. LOL

I always set my toe-in at 1/16 total. The thinking being that, at speed, (with my limited budget there was no way to test it) the deflection, if there was any, would have the 2 front tires rolling in a straight line. The way I see toe-in being taught here, if there is any deflection, a tire set at 1/16 toe-out would have, (if there was deflection) even more toe-out. I've never raced dirt, but just trying to imagine it in my head, that doesn't seem like a good idea.

Both sides of the rear axle can be adjusted on newer karts

Thats why I set my toe to zero or 1/16 in, under power they will be straight, and let akerman take care of itself

Both sides of the rear axle can be adjusted on newer karts

Thats why I set my toe to zero or 1/16 in, under power they will be straight, and let akerman take care of itself
I'm aware of that!!

So tell me, are you talking about moving the whole axle forward or back? Which is it; you're moving the right side forward and back, or the left side forward and back or the whole axle forward and back?

I'm not saying the Akerman is not affected, but the effect of the toe-in, or toe-out, on the Akerman, just has to be really minimal.

Not the whole axle, just one side or the other.
Chassis are built with the RS wheel base longer than the LS
Only time I would move the whole axle forward would be for a bullring, 98% of the time it would be left in the stock location

Al, It's all about the "common vernacular". When moving the axle, the karting world means "the right side". Same story when refering to "raising or lowering the spindle". The majority understand but some Newbies are mislead.
You're beating a dead horse !

Al, It's all about the "common vernacular". When moving the axle, the karting world means "the right side". Same story when refering to "raising or lowering the spindle". The majority understand but some Newbies are mislead.
While we fully understand what happens when washers are moved, a newbie with his kart on the stand what do you think he see's with his eyes at that very moment? the spindle moving up or down or the chassis rake?

Square the lf with LR. Now toe rf out. Release to lock so kart can roll forward position. Measure right side wheel base. Now do the opposite. Square rf with rr. Toe lf out. Release toe lock. Straighten wheel out. Measure right side wheel base.

Square the lf with LR. Now toe rf out. Release to lock so kart can roll forward position. Measure right side wheel base. Now do the opposite. Square rf with rr. Toe lf out. Release toe lock. Straighten wheel out. Measure right side wheel base.
Wheelbase is measured from True axle center lines, not the end of the axle after its been manipulated

Questions for the experts:
1. If right side whellbase were measured from contact points of the right side tires on the ground, factor in RF caster. What is the wheelbase ?
2. If you change your caster, what is the wheelbase ?
3. Is the RF contact point at the vertical center of the RF tire ?
4. Does the Newbie race his cart while it's on the stand ?

Questions for the experts:
1. If right side whellbase were measured from contact points of the right side tires on the ground, factor in RF caster. What is the wheelbase ?

Where is the spindle in relationship to the king pin?

Wheelbase is determined in stock locations for legality to WKA Oval, this was discussed when the wheelbase rule was changed.
Wheelbase is effected very little by castor changes, the castor change in itself will effect the kart moreso than the wheelbase will

No

No, but what he see's while on the stand he knows spindle up on RF cross out....etc, now does the same newbie understand chassis rake? depends on how much the newbie knows

am I really "beating a dead horse", (In other words wasting my, and other people's, time) I don't think so! But of course you are totally welcome to your opinion. Honest criticism has the effect of making us look at what we say with a critical eye. I believe we could all use a little of that!
Actually, for the majority, you may be right, but what about all the newbies that join the sport each year? Your use of colloquialisms may be confusing. Certainly, I'm told quite often, that I'm guilty of that. (Assuming things) Most certainly, if you assume anything, there will be those that will assume something different.

201.3 ........True axle centers
this is how I would measure it; from the intersection of the spindle and the kingpin centerlines, to the center line of the rear axle.

this is how I would measure it; from the intersection of the spindle and the kingpin centerlines, to the center line of the rear axle.

Good observation Al and one which made me think about it. My thoughts tell me, that is exactly what squaring the left side does. ... and it's a heck of a lot easier to measure it at the end of the stub axle to the axle, then to try to measure from the connection of the stub axle and kingpin on back. ... :)

Back