Track prep help!!!

VR88

Track prep help!!!

I have been running a 1/8mile high banked clay oval for a few years now. i have track prep art pretty much figured out with a water pump, a pull behind grader, small dozer, and other drags.
i work up the track with the dozer tracks, smooth with drags, pack and drag until smooth, and keep it wet until race time. works pretty well.

my issue is after a few weeks of letting the track sit the rain water causes little "creeks" as it runs down the surface. The track surface stays so hard that without the dozer tracks it is nearly imposable for me to rip up the surface again to smooth out these creeks.
I am selling my dozer and need to come up with another way to rip into this cement like surface with a drag behind my truck or ATV.
Does anyone have any tips on how they rip up there tracks?
thanks
-Nate

Check with Ken Chub, his user name here on bob's is racing promotor. I've have seen him take some really pathetic tracks and make them into super speedways here in Pa.

I have the same problem as far as what you call creeks when it rains because of my banking, however I have access to a disc when real bad, and have a Motor grader the clear tip of the blade on one side works great but your pull behind won't do that, you definitely have to rip it up somehow like you've been or the loose stuff will just come right out as soon as karts hit it, and sounds like it gets to hard for the drag with the hooks, Depending on what you have access to if you could weld up a steel frame and some cross piece the plate it so you can add weight and weld some railroad spikes to the bottom that might work, or if no steel frame a sheet of plywood with 2 x 4's and drive heavy spikes down through framing and get weight on it, or if you can get a 6ft or so piece of say 18" or 24" concrete pipe drill hole epoxy spikes in pipe rig it so it rolls, if ya can get up some speed that should tear it up some, as hard as it sounds like it gets you'll be dragging whatever with a truck a quad ain't gonna cut it, some type of redneck engineering that will get heavy spikes or railroad spikes to dig in. Watering it hard before you drag what ever will help soften it some then just let it dry before you regrade it.
I'll keep thinking and keep my eyes open elsewhere if I see anything that might work I'll contact ya.

Good Luck !!

Build one of these, wet the track, and drag it.
Start with the teeth down, then once you have it ripped up some, adjust the turnbuckle, picking the teeth up a little at a time, and keep dragging.
Eventually get the teeth up all the way, and let the back of the H beam smoothe it out.

drag_zpsb1df5c90.png

Back