track prep

AkronSpeedway

What is a good mix for putting water on a dirt track? I have heard Dawn, Fabric softener....? What do some of the tracks use? We have a dirt track and it gets dry.......especially on a hot day and no wind.
Thank you in advance.......

Best way to prep a track to reduce dust is to put some lights up and race at night. However, an awful lot of guys like dry, hard, slick tracks. I'm not one of them as I struggle finding the grip. Track Tac has a track product. Brine water works well. I know guys that have spread rock salt. The biggest thing is, whatever you use, you need to get deep into the surface. Something like a set of plowing discs or a box blade works great. Loosen up the dirt as deep as possible, a foot or better if possible. Apply your water or mixture every day as often as possible, without driving on or packing the surface at all. A sprayer system from the infield works great or outer perimeter of the track if possible. At this point, if you used a box blade, you have a smooth surface that is fluffed up and taking water like a sponge. Keep watering up to race day. On race day, pack it in stages. Don't just go out with the roller and/or packer vehicle and pack it as tight as possible. Lightly water it then pack top to bottom in a smooth even pass. Water again, pack again. And do it a couple more times. This should put a bunch of moisture deep in the surface. And if graded, watered, and packed properly, should give a very smooth surface. And whatever chemical you used as a binder should be deep enough to not pull out and let the dust start flying. I'm not a chemist so I don't know what to tell you to use as a binder. But this is basically the process to follow and use whatever you choose. Pretty sure this is just about how they prep for the Chilli Bowl races. Actually they use a tiller on the tractor, water, and pack.

Not dawn, cheap white dishwashing liquid, joy was the top choice but they changed it, now the cheap white dishsoap is what is used

track tac makes a prep that goes on the track surface. call chris or randy at track tac for details
paul Watson

I think I started this discussion in another thread and the consensus is that you can put additives in the water you put down, but the key is to just keep dumping water on it. Water water water. VP, Track Tack, Cheap soap, all good things to add. However, most said the key is to just make sure you get enough water on it during the week and that it gets deep enough as Jimbo said.

I think I started this discussion in another thread and the consensus is that you can put additives in the water you put down, but the key is to just keep dumping water on it. Water water water. VP, Track Tack, Cheap soap, all good things to add. However, most said the key is to just make sure you get enough water on it during the week and that it gets deep enough as Jimbo said.
Different soils soak up water at different rates, some tracks no matter how much water you add dries out and becomes dusty.

This is a big problem with several tracks around Ky where we race...they are not discing up the tracks during the week and are just dumping water on them and rolling it in, and that is where the problem is in my opinion. You have to get the water deeper into the track. Another problem i see is tracks starting to water on raceday, then rolling the track in until it is dry, and starting hotlaps or races before the sun goes down....if you wait and start after the sun goes down, the track will hold that moisture and water alot longer than if you water early in the day and roll it in until its dry. Just something to think about

I've used Soap, coca cola, you name it, nothing beats getting the water deep in the soil and compaction of the layers.

I would be VERY careful ripping open the surface of any kart track and putting any Soap, Calcium, or even just to much water for that matter in it, especially Calcium and mix it in, that may work for the chili bowl however Remember they have every piece of equipment needed and it's all new, plus YEARS of trial and error with volumes and and timing, you could try this and screw yourself royally, it's most important to understand what material your dealing with, but what would be least expensive and make the biggest difference for now is simply apply most likely 10 times as much water on it as you are now, then the final load mix in the white soap, any track can be prepped all from the surface and hold you just need to learn how to work it with proper volumes
and timing of it, especially if you use calcium or mag flakes to the surface with proper moisture.

I would be VERY careful ripping open the surface of any kart track and putting any Soap, Calcium, or even just to much water for that matter in it, especially Calcium and mix it in, that may work for the chili bowl however Remember they have every piece of equipment needed and it's all new, plus YEARS of trial and error with volumes and and timing, you could try this and screw yourself royally, it's most important to understand what material your dealing with, but what would be least expensive and make the biggest difference for now is simply apply most likely 10 times as much water on it as you are now, then the final load mix in the white soap, any track can be prepped all from the surface and hold you just need to learn how to work it with proper volumes
and timing of it, especially if you use calcium or mag flakes to the surface with proper moisture.
If any of these guys spent the time prepping a track week in and week out its my guess their answers would change.
Agreed white soap in the last load.
Also agree about not haring the track then watering, the heat generated can and will cause the track to flake up, this is more prominent when calcium is used

Its all a fine line to walk dirts to lose it will act as a sponge sitting on top of the hard pack you didnt disk up wich will cuz a muddy messi wouldnt advise. Tracks to tight the water will run of before its asorbed. Hince why we track in our dirt piles the the water runs off. If it was me more water in less amounts more frequently dys before the race. I always hate seeing a water truck roll out 30 mins befor practice or right after practice lol.

Its all a fine line to walk dirts to lose it will act as a sponge sitting on top of the hard pack you didnt disk up wich will cuz a muddy messi wouldnt advise. Tracks to tight the water will run of before its asorbed. Hince why we track in our dirt piles the the water runs off. If it was me more water in less amounts more frequently dys before the race. I always hate seeing a water truck roll out 30 mins befor practice or right after practice lol.
Working on a track is a full time job, then you have to work your regular job on top of it, and find family time, its easy to say to do something, its a little harder to get it done

Also BIG difference in watching from a distance the little bit your at a track thinking you know whats going on, than actually doing it and knowing whats going on.

Also BIG difference in watching from a distance the little bit your at a track thinking you know whats going on, than actually doing it and knowing whats going on.

Exactly!! Working a race track is definitely not as easy as what the racer sees the day of the race! I have spent countless hours during the week prepping a track and no one week is the same. Too many variables to deal with like the humidity, rain during the week, no rain during the week, humid all week and night before then dry air all night before. All of these play a major role in how you prep the final day before the event. That day is the most critical in my opinion due to the amount of variables during the week. It is very easy to miss it on this day. no rain in forecast the night before the race so you load it up with water and leave and a pop up storm comes though during the night. Now you have a track that is a satrurated mess that takes hours to get run in one time! All of you should go and help the track prep guys one week to understand what all happens and is required to get a track very good! It can backfire on ya quick!! Ken definitely knows how to do a track and make it very good!! Water, water, water, and more water! Then calcium or mag flakes or a mix of one or the other in a smaller tank of water the last load and run in correctly will produce a good surface! Ken is absolutely correct in the timing of the chemicals and putting karts on the track!! Very very important on when and how you do this!!

Exactly!! Working a race track is definitely not as easy as what the racer sees the day of the race! I have spent countless hours during the week prepping a track and no one week is the same. Too many variables to deal with like the humidity, rain during the week, no rain during the week, humid all week and night before then dry air all night before. All of these play a major role in how you prep the final day before the event. That day is the most critical in my opinion due to the amount of variables during the week. It is very easy to miss it on this day. no rain in forecast the night before the race so you load it up with water and leave and a pop up storm comes though during the night. Now you have a track that is a satrurated mess that takes hours to get run in one time! All of you should go and help the track prep guys one week to understand what all happens and is required to get a track very good! It can backfire on ya quick!! Ken definitely knows how to do a track and make it very good!! Water, water, water, and more water! Then calcium or mag flakes or a mix of one or the other in a smaller tank of water the last load and run in correctly will produce a good surface! Ken is absolutely correct in the timing of the chemicals and putting karts on the track!! Very very important on when and how you do this!!
When I built Clay City, I had plenty of input, and plenty of people who said they would come help but in the end it was just 3 of us, and only 2 actually done the work.
the track is just part of it, grass mowing, making sure the bathrooms are clean, stocking the concessions.
Racers just dont understand

Good way to put it. I have been there and helped and have seen how it is...it is definitely alot more work than some folks think. There is one track near me that never tears up the track, they always just add water, usually nowhere near enough and the track is always a sandy mess most nights, rarely it will have good bite. None of the tracks here use chemicals, soap, or anything besides plain water and dust usually is not a problem. These aren't clay tracks either, just farm dirt mostly

Back