Trailer A/C unit set up question.

I have a 6x12 wedge nose trailer and will be installing a "portable-type" air conditioner/dehumidifier unit. I want it in the front of the trailer. The question is this: Where to intake and exhaust the two hoses? Ceiling, sidewall or floor?

Cannot mount a roof unit because it will not clear my garage.

floor would be nice , though dosent co2 and many other gases stay lower via heavier then air ?
Ceiling seems problematic .

definitely the floor, you don't want a leak in the roof, and don't want to be cutting wholes in the side of the trailer for if you ever take it out, I put mine in the floor in the front of the trail as close to the wall as I could so that I could put something over the whole when the ac is not in the trailer

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but my opinion its a waste of time. I have experience those units are made for long slow cooling not fast immediate air exchange. What I'm getting at it takes about 2 hours to get it really cooling and if you let the air out a lot then it never really cools overheats the unit and it stops cooling. I ended up running a window unit plus the mobile ac. My trailer was 14 ft flat nose. That worked kept it 75 in trailer on 98 days. I had both tunes ran out of the floor I had to ad inline fans to keep air moving fast enough. The problem is the value on the room itself. Those units are meant for homes with all the doors and windows shut. If you don't have a perfect seal the ac unit sucks heat into the trailer. Someone warned me I said by God I'll make it work. I should have listened.

My crazy 🤪 fix is this. Buy a big window unit.16kbtu at least. Frame up the side door. Make a sliding rack sturdy well made. When you get to track slide out have a little tarp hanging down on lower half of door. Yeah you have to duck into door but that ac works good. The 2 ac way uses the mess out of a big generator. The best thing to do is roof unit save all the trouble. Park the trailer outside. Heck that is why I have trailers to free up garage space lol. To each his own.
I'm not being a jerk just telling you the pains I have gone through. I now have a 20' trailer with a roof unit.

Thanks K47, much appreciative of your wisdom and experience. I'm going with 14kbtu double hose Whytner unit for a 6x12 trailer. The walls and ceiling are insulated and the floor is diamond plate. Based on the square footage of the trailer the a/c unit is three or four times stronger than it to be. I'm hoping that will be good enough, if not I'll move the Whytner to the workshop and put in a bigass window shaker.

Won't do a roof model, plenty of garage space but no room to store it outside.

So far the hoses thru the floor seems like the best solution....so far.

Thanks K47, much appreciative of your wisdom and experience. I'm going with 14kbtu double hose Whytner unit for a 6x12 trailer. The walls and ceiling are insulated and the floor is diamond plate. Based on the square footage of the trailer the a/c unit is three or four times stronger than it to be. I'm hoping that will be good enough, if not I'll move the Whytner to the workshop and put in a bigass window shaker.

Won't do a roof model, plenty of garage space but no room to store it outside.

So far the hoses thru the floor seems like the best solution....so far.
I wish the best for you there are some videos out there showing the problem you will have. I thought I could overcome them buy building an insulated box around ac unit. It didn't work. Mine is a double hose 18k btu unit. When you get it all set up you will notice it only works if you never open a door. Put unit in my house it cools it down no problem. Like I said this is not a new discussion and sounds like you are like me got to prove it to yourself. Out of 15 20 times using this method only 1 time actually cooled and I found myself worried about making trailer cool rather than race. I wish you luck. Let us know how it goes and went.

Thanks K47.
Much respect. Not out to prove anything, I bought all the stuff already. I'm committed to giving it a try, but not above going with a window shaker if the portable doesn't work out. I should have it done in 2 weeks, I'll keep you posted.

Back