Trailer Setup

hjsmith00843

I am about to order my trailer and I would like to see some pictures on how you have yours setup.

I will be getting a 24ft by 8.5 wide. Thinking about getting an awning on the side with external lights. Is it worth having factory cabinets installed. I can not hammer 2 pieces of wood together and have it to look correct.

You might look into these chrome plated, welded wire, adjustable shelves. I have one here that's two by three and six feet tall with four shelves. The spacing of the shelves is adjustable and you can add more if you want. There really light considering the load that they will carry.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

I am about to order my trailer and I would like to see some pictures on how you have yours setup.

I will be getting a 24ft by 8.5 wide. Thinking about getting an awning on the side with external lights. Is it worth having factory cabinets installed. I can not hammer 2 pieces of wood together and have it to look correct.

We just upgraded to a bigger trailer and did a lot of research. Most of the time a trailer that size will be a car hauler and not a cargo trailer. With car haulers there are option packages that can be added from the factory. These packages are almost as cheap as you could hope to do them yourself although in the end they do add up. We bought a Continental Cargo Auto Plus and as an example here are the option packages available for it. http://www.continentalcargotrailer.com/default.asp?page=models&unit=automaster&choice=opt

Some points we can pass on:
Rubber coin floor is really popular. It's also expensive and almost impossible to clean. We chose the vinyl flooring.
Outside lights from the factory are almost always halogen, mine had two 500W floods. I replaced them with 50W LED floods for about $50. More light with less power.
If you don't get rooftop AC unit(s) make sure you get the trailer wired and braced for them so it's easy to add later.
A generator compartment is really nice although you will need to build a slide. Here's a nice forum on slides: http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315029
We love the built in cabinets and tabletop. Spend the money for them!

This is the trailer we bought although we bought it directly from Flying A and not ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-AUTO-M...0ffJ%2B0JBn61YlGaQCk8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

One last note, step up to a 28' in place of the 24'. The 24' length used to be very popular but since all the race car guys started taking four wheelers with them to the track they want the extra length. A 28' will be a lot easier to resell than a 24'.

Here is the quote I received. Everyone else seems to be the same price or higher.

JV8524TA2 $5,599.00
24' Pace American Journey with tandem 3500# axles.

Options:

Finished Interior $1,800.00
Rubber coin floor, white alum. walls, and white vinyl ceiling.

22' Awning $ 900.00

Aluminum L-base cabinet and straight overhead cabinet $1,300.00

Generator Prep. Pkg. $ 400.00
Includes insulated box in base cabinet and 33”x36” vented door.

50 Amp Electrical Pkg. $ 500.00
Includes (4) 4' flor lights, (2) 110v wall switches, and 50 amp pannel.

13.5 BTU A/C $ 850.00

(2) 500 watt quartz lights recessed under awning $ 400.00

Subtotal: $11,749.00

get 5200lb axles

+1. For a trailer with the cubic capacity of a 24 footer, 3500lb axles are not adequate. Shows you how much I've read up on minimum trailer specs; I didn't even know you could get a 24' trailer with 3500lb axles....

Forgot to mention that I will be getting the trailer with 5200lb axles. That is a $400 upgrade. It was not on the list because the dealer highly recommended it on his intro. The trailer will also be used to pull my drag car so it would be in my best interested to get the better axles. The trailer does have brakes on the axles. What is the best brake box controller I can buy to put into my truck.

The truck I will use to pull the trailer is a 2005 GMC 2500HD 6.0

How does everyone run air inside the trailer. I was thinking about mounting a compressor under a cabinet and using hard pipe to run the length of the trailer with severl connections to attach air lines to. I have also seen some trailers with some clear doors put on the entrance (big door) to keep the cool or heat in when working on the kart but also being able to see what is going on. I could use the freezer door plastic, but I like the clear plastic sheets with door built in.

hjsmith00843 ---- I use "push to connect" fittings and plastic tube -- light, cheap, never corrode and you can snake the tubing anywhere -- they even have bulk head fitting if you want to put on through the wall of your trailer. I have them in my trailer and my garage. you can get them at Summit racing or just goggle "push to connect air fittings" you can use regular cage clips to hang the tube in the trailer.. Looks really cool when you are done. It the back door of my trailer I have a line connected to a recoil air line and can go 25 feet away from my trailer !

Here is the quote I received. Everyone else seems to be the same price or higher.

JV8524TA2 $5,599.00
24' Pace American Journey with tandem 3500# axles.

Options:

Finished Interior $1,800.00
Rubber coin floor, white alum. walls, and white vinyl ceiling.

22' Awning $ 900.00

Aluminum L-base cabinet and straight overhead cabinet $1,300.00

Generator Prep. Pkg. $ 400.00
Includes insulated box in base cabinet and 33”x36” vented door.

50 Amp Electrical Pkg. $ 500.00
Includes (4) 4' flor lights, (2) 110v wall switches, and 50 amp pannel.

13.5 BTU A/C $ 850.00

(2) 500 watt quartz lights recessed under awning $ 400.00

Subtotal: $11,749.00

That's a good price although I don't know much about Pace trailers. Look at some rubber coin floors after a couple of years and I think you will see just how bad they look. They just seem impossible to keep clean. They do look fantastic when new though!

Is the trailer insulated? At least the ceiling? Very important for A/C.

Not sure where you're at but one 13500 unit isn't going to cool it down very well if you in a hot climate. Here in Texas in the summer the big trailers with one unit have to crank them up in the early morning to try and keep them some kind of comfortable throughout the day. The ones with insulated ceilings and two units you can hang meat in. At any rate you need at least a 15K unit (or two).

You will most likely be getting a race trailer and it will have a beavertail in the rear of the floor for easy loading of a car. If you're ordering one you can get it built without the beavertail which you obviously don't need for karting. But don't as trying to resell it later will severely limit your market.

Seriously consider getting a 28' over the 24'. I bet the price difference is only $500-750 and not only will you come to enjoy the extra space but unless you're planning on dying and being buried in it you will want to sell it one day. And the 28' will sell faster and for a lot more money than the 24'. I bet I'm not the only one that ever bought a trailer wondering what in the world I'm ever going to do with all this space and a few months later wonder where it all went. LOL

See if you can get the dealer to install LED floods in place of the quarts lights. You will be so much happier, as will your generator:).

Good luck with your project!

Picked up my trailer a few days ago that I purchased from a fellow member. Trailer was better than what showed in the pictures and it meets all of our racing needs. Thanks Leroy.

Mikeincoppell
Outside lights from the factory are almost always halogen, mine had two 500W floods. I replaced them with 50W LED floods for about $50. More light with less power.

Where did you get these lights and what are brand are they? Thanks

Mikeincoppell

Where did you get these lights and what are brand are they? Thanks

Here's a couple of links. I honestly don't remember which one I bought but probably the one on ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009E8CCBE...UTF8&colid=2IP8X5I5IP67Y&coliid=I5DTIEVBY8W6Q

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380904215660?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Back