TT75 torque for head bolts??

robinlsb

Anyone know of the inch pounds torque for the head nuts???

Flex length?

Proper bolts to start the motor from the Motoplat side?

I use 160 in.lbs., but you can find that info from Metric torque charts. Flex length depends on what pipe? but many use 9-1/2" to start.

18 ft-lbs (216 in-lbs) is what I have used. Flex length is highly dependent on pipe. Experimentation is your friend. I have run some as short as 8.5" flex length with great results on a Pro 81/82 pipe with axle clutch engaging at 11,700 rpm....

If you are using a starter on a nut that might screw it off, be sure to use RED loctite to hold it on.....

The same "formula" applies to any engine -- only as much as required and no more.

Over-tightening just about anything on the engines we use in karting generally "bends" something (like the bore out of round, the cases deflect, etc.).

"easy does it"

PM

"easy does it"

I have spent thirty years teaching, telling, yelling and preaching, "don't go ape on it" to my technicians. Fifteen years ago I heard you, Pete, say this on your forum and tested it and saw how over-tightening was harmful. Easy does it is the rule!

DK

The same "formula" applies to any engine -- only as much as required and no more.

Over-tightening just about anything on the engines we use in karting generally "bends" something (like the bore out of round, the cases deflect, etc.).

"easy does it"

PM

I agree, and I tend to overtighten things, always with negative consequences.

Back