Turbonique Rocket Engines (Found a pair)

duwem

Bought these on craigslist last week. Wasn't even sure if they were real rocket engines or just some odd looking parts.

After some googling, I came across the image of the Fox Kart with twins on it.

Thinking I will sell them, but for now definitely neat conversation pieces.

Manufacturing was discontinued because as I understand it, people were getting some serious injuries when they detonated like a bomb.

Hello again

Some very interesting comments, if you got a pair or those turboniques, it goes without saying just be careful. It only take 1 thing out of a 1,000 to go wrong. Shame but safe to put them on the wall, I think selling them would be a fun, if possibly short-lived project, for someone. Most of these karts were of a driver lay-down position type with open bodies and a few unlucky ones never got the chance to stand up again. My new seat has openings for driver safety belts, but without a roll cage, you would be in a MUCH better position to be thrown clear than to be tied to one if the run went south on you. I would be looking to sell those motors on vintage rocket kart sites that are on the net, you will get a much better prices for them than on the bay or craigslist. Of all things, finding them on craigslist... that just blows me away.... mike
rocketkart1.jpg

If any of you are tired of the kart scene as it stands today, and I think that all of the types of tracks of conventional karts today are very interesting, and you want to change directions in ways of speed and method, why not pick up those turboniques and put them into this body? gives you something to do and the little wife a few extra bucks from life insurance should things go a bit haywire. All you have to do is buy the body, put in a floor pan, build a pro racing frame inside of it, add some tanks and a few other doo-dads, and you will be the man! Nobody will ever call or think of you as a wussy as a side benefit. The biggest problems you might have is obtaining the fuel, or maybe not. mine runs on about 80% peroxide and a few other possibly banned fuels (like hydrazine for instance), if you do a search to buy some there is a chance you may get flagged by homeland security or the f.b.I. While I was fooling with all of this stuff down in Texas a few years ago, the attention of a very nice f.b.I. agent came my way... just saying. I have my kart flagged as strictly a working movie prop for a screenplay I wrote. I would never light it off, at least not yet. I know just enough to make it work but not enough to make it reliable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Chevrolet-Corvette-Orange-Fiberglass-Rupp-Go-Kart-Body/153502049888
www.thelastfriendsofwilliecoyote.com

mike

Back