turning lo206 into a torch. how to stop.

OK i have never gotten this 206 to run right. As far as the carb is concerned. Had it close i think. At time. But anyway. I got my lo206 out the other day. And took the exhaust pipe off. To clean the port of all the black. And when I got it off I was like I wonder what it sounds like with no pipe and no muffler. So I started it and I had the choke on and at an idle I had like an inch of flame about every time the spark would hit. So I turned choke off and it got worst. Called Brian and Carlson motorsports. He said maybe carb was plugged. Took it compmetly apart cleaned it. Put it back on. Started it same thing. So I started playing with the idle screw and air screw. And no matter what I do it never goes away. Tried moving needle from middle notch up 1 so now its second from the top. Engine is only about 10 races old. Any idea where to start. Or is this normal. I wish I could post video.

If you have the exhaust pipe off and it is shooting flames that is perfectly normal. You could not ever get it to stop doing this, in some situations if you ran with the pipe and no silencer you would see flame at the end of the pipe.

O thank god. I was all freaked out. I borrowed a friends tach. To try and tune it. Lol what notch do u think I should b on? Small tracks 1162 to 12 60 gears. Pretty flat. I was old middle but my exhaust almost has an oily texture to it. Its not just normal black soot. Its wetish. If that makes sense

But you are tuning the engine to no pipe, where they generally do not work properly. Put the pipe on and it will require a totally different tune. You should always tune the engine as it wuill be ran.

Might be best to put the needle in second hole from the top .
Install carb and pipe .
then leave it alone.

Jumbo I have never it it yo run right. This is the first time I have taken the exhaust off it since I bought it. And I have it on the second notch from the top. And float at 860

Sounds to me like it's rich, if you're seeing flame, something is burning outside the engine. Now the richness could be caused by no pipe on the engine, I really wouldn't know about that.

Have you tried a smaller jet? Both high and low? Changing from a .039" to a .038" jet is right at about a 5% change. Take that into consideration. Still, like you've been told by others, you can't tune an engine with the header pipe off.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Can't change jets its against the rules.

How do they control that? Is there a tolerance? I can tell you for a fact that with 200 precision machined jets, there is quite a bit of difference in flow between them.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

The tech on the jet is a NOGO pin it cannot be simpler, yes there may be someone that comes up with something but it would have miniscule effect on an RPM limited engine.

Maybe someone needs to read the rules before he starts making recommendations. And yes there is a tolerance.

Idle pilot jet – #32, hole size is .0130” no go.
Main jet – #95, hole size is .0380” 0.036 go, 0.039 no go

Sorry predictive text lol this smart phone is a dumb ass.lol and I don't think its a jet issue. I think its something in my settings. And nobody around here runs stock. There is only about 3 engines at the track like this. And really none of us have hit the nail on the head. Having a tach really helped. I found tonight. Where should idle be set? Roughly

Maybe someone needs to read the rules before he starts making recommendations. And yes there is a tolerance.

Idle pilot jet – #32, hole size is .0130” no go.
Main jet – #95, hole size is .0380” 0.036 go, 0.039 no go

Agree 100%

There are thousands of LO 206's all over the world that run right.
If ,as you say, YOU can not get it to run right maybe you should get it to someone that can get it to run right.
You might want to send it to Brian Carlson or Steve Baker. They both do excellent work and are as fair and honest as there is.

Well I'm hoping having my tach hooked up will help. I know on the stand last night it started and idled better than it ever has. So I guess we will see Friday at the track

Back