turning lo206 into a torch. how to stop.

Called Brian and Carlson motorsports. He said maybe carb was plugged.

I wonder what it sounds like with no pipe and no muffler.
Interestingly enough, you left out this vital piece of information when we talked on the phone. :)

You cannot tune an engine without the pipe OR with no load.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I was kind of wondering who would equate flames out of the exhaust with a plugged carb, perhaps Dodgeram could explain what not running right is. The tach won't make it run right.

I didn't realize running it without the exhaust pipe was bad. And I'm sorry Brian I thought I did say that. But this engine has always ran really rich. All summer if it sat on the grid and idled or we ran a lot of yellow flag laps you could almost bet money I wouldn't finish cuz it would eventually sputter and die. And we would switch plugs and it would run agian. But the plug would be extremely wet. And no matter what I did I could never change this. Always seems to run great at wide open. But not to good at an idle and not to great st mid. And by tach making it run right I meant I was able to set the idle speed and then turn the air screw and set I to the highest rp . Like the book said. I could never really hear a difference in tone when moving it. But I let it idle last night for prolly 20 min and it didn't die but it still smokes out the exhaust like it has all year.

Dodge- there are so many capable people in karting that welcome the chance to assist, far less with an expert understanding as to optimum tuning. Just a suggestion, align with a quality person that has demonstrated ability. In all forms of business, invariably we must pay for an education. The good news, what you're seeking to understand won't be expensive. Seems that you would be well-served to follow this path, as Jim pointed out above, then enjoy the track time to it's fullest.

just my 2 cents if its running rich and u have the jet u should in it maybe its leaking by needle and seat at wot or just under probably wont affect it too much if any at idle just running around track under caution thats when it would act up bowl could be overfilling with fuel and dumping into carb causing rich condition ....just something to check ....also black in exhaust port is gonna hurt nothing never run engine without a exh pipe of somesort the cam has overlap which means both valves are open at same time and if valve is hot enough cold air can crack it

If you have both line going into the catch can and it is not vented REALLY WELL the crankcase vent can pressurize the catch can which pressurizes the carb float bowl which will flood the engine. Try the carb line into an independent can, I bet you solve your problem.

^^^sounds like a left handed screwdriver or metric pipewrench. Lol it ran pretty good at the turkey chase. Little more fine tuning and should be ok

I was gonna say fire out the exhaust is normal. My 420cc clone has about an 20" long header and straight thru muffler, it shoots a blue flame out the end of the exhaust. And yes, reversion can warp or crack the exhaust valve, I never run an engine for more than a couple seconds with no header on if at all.

Back