unilli

W5R

Having some trouble with the Unilli tires and wondering if maybe I'm doing something wrong, needing some help. I ran Unilli tires a few years ago and they worked decent, but not as well as the Burris we normally use. I got a few sets recently from a friend of mine and have been trying to use them on the Open kart, but having a hard time getting them to fire off, seems like they just never come in, or when they do it takes 8-10 laps to come in. These tires all seem to duro around 65-70, and I have tried softening them and tried just wiping bite, nothing seems to make a difference with these things....not sure if Unilli has changed the compound, rubber or what since I last ran Unilli tires but something is different, not to mention the fact that they are an absolute pain to keep sized where I need them to maintain stagger, size seems to change as they are ran on the track.

With that said, what is the key to making them work on low or medium bite dirt tracks where Burris 33's are the normal tire choice? Some use maxxis and have been fast on them, the unilli feel very similar to maxxis but I know they probably aren't the same type of rubber. Say for example if I were at a track that normally takes a burris 33a with no internal and wiping a medium bite prep during the week, with duro being mid 50's, what would need done to the Unilli to make them work as well as Burris? I tried them at a race last week and was half a second or more off the pace all day with the unilli, bolted on my Burris for the feature and came from the tail to the front within the first few laps like I knew they would. So, do the unilli need alot of internal prep to make them fire off, and hit them aggressively from the outside with a harsh prep, or what do you guys suggest? They were free to me so nothing to lose by trying something new here, I have 3 brand new sets and a few lightly used sets left and would like to make them work so I can save the Burris for big races when I need them. Thanks in advance for any advice on these tires...starting to wonder if they are just plain junk to begin with....

I have been running a set this season. Not a tire expert at all but here is what I do and seems to work well. they were rolled internally and scuffed. I wipe blacksand during the week and decide on outside when I get to the track. On low bite stuff that we have around here its usually black bite or krug. And for dry slick 50/50 black sand a acrysol. May not help you at all. I haven't worked much with burris only these and maxxis.

If you would be interested in them send me a message and ill make you a deal on about 4 real nice sets and a couple decent used sets that still have plenty of life on them. Most of the nice sets still have the shoulders and centerlines and less than 20 laps on them. No left fronts, just right sides and left rears is all I have. Ill make someone a good deal on all of them

First off, Unilli hasn't made a tire in years, therefore will be a hard, dry tire. Secondly they do not like an oily prep so Blacksand isn't the way to go, or even my Bite in a can for that matter, on a fairly hard track.
Now with that said, if its a low bite track, there are things you can use that will make it go when they were newer. Worked ok at Daytona, matter of fact AY took 2nd in the Pro race, the year we had to use Unilli, on my Daytona Prep. With them being as old as are now, I cant positively say yay or nay on whether they will react the same.

I have been able to get a couple of sets down to around 55 duro and keep them there, using 3-4oz internal and wiping them externally, they still seem to take awhile to come in no matter what is done to them. Are they really just that bad of a tire Earl? Using Palmetto's perfection tire solutions, the original inside and low or medium bite outside, hitting them with extreme green before going to the grid

According to that Earl, mine are all 2015's. I still have 2012 and older Burris that will fly on most dry tracks, I guess the Unilli just aren't worth the time it would take to make them work? If I could make them work and use them on the tracks here with no tire rules and save my Burris that would be great but I don't have much faith in them after the last few times trying to run them. This past weekend I pulled a set of old maxxis pink 800's out of the barn and mounted then resurfaced them, hit them with a few coats of Krug and they were just as fast as the Burris were on one of the tracks here that has decent bite, they got faster the more I reran them and were showing around 70 on the duro when I started, they were down to about 55 when I was done for the night...they worked better than I expected but I was just seeing if they would work anyways

According to that Earl, mine are all 2015's. I still have 2012 and older Burris that will fly on most dry tracks, I guess the Unilli just aren't worth the time it would take to make them work? If I could make them work and use them on the tracks here with no tire rules and save my Burris that would be great but I don't have much faith in them after the last few times trying to run them. This past weekend I pulled a set of old maxxis pink 800's out of the barn and mounted then resurfaced them, hit them with a few coats of Krug and they were just as fast as the Burris were on one of the tracks here that has decent bite, they got faster the more I reran them and were showing around 70 on the duro when I started, they were down to about 55 when I was done for the night...they worked better than I expected but I was just seeing if they would work anyways

Everyone knows that the older Burris are faster, however that don't apply to every tire brand.
If youre just wanting to burn them up, take it to a track where you can use Krug or goat, but your performance may not be to your liking.
Unilli wasn't designed to be a soft track tire.

Back