Unintended consequences

Bob Evans

Administrator
Connie just pointed out to me that we are the generation that invented plastic bags in order to save millions of trees that were used to make paper bags. :)

sometimes we just aint smart enough to see the forest through the trees - so to speak
No pun intended

Yup... some ya hit some ya miss. On that note tho I really do miss those cool styrofoam boxes your McDonalds sandwiches used to come in.....

Perhaps we were just convinced by the oil industry we needed plastic bags to save trees....I always liked the fact I could reuse/repurpose a paper grocery bag. Now I bring my reusable cotton bags into stores.

I wonder though did it save any trees ?
It created an immense trash problem ; that is probably worse then the loss of trees.
With current recycling making bags out of recycled paper and cardboard seems a better option.
Back in the 60's it was a good idea .
remember when the cupboard was full of paper sacks , now its plastic bags.

I heard the news talking and talking all about plastic garbage in the ocean as being the biggest problem that needs fixed.
Ban plastic bags, ban plastic bottles, ban plastic straws, ect.
I never once have heard them mention banning the cause of the problem which would be to ban dumping garbage into our rivers and oceans.

We use the plastic bags for our recycle bins at the house - they actually work pretty well. They can be a mess; just like anything else. It's all in how it's used and contained.

I heard the news talking and talking all about plastic garbage in the ocean as being the biggest problem that needs fixed.
Ban plastic bags, ban plastic bottles, ban plastic straws, ect.
I never once have heard them mention banning the cause of the problem which would be to ban dumping garbage into our rivers and oceans.
I've had a similar discussion with the wife.
We recycle . now according to everything I see about that is its just a warm fuzzy feeling you get.
the Chinese no longer want it and even if they took it they would dump whats not needed or used in the ocean.
In the USA it has been subsidized and then 50-80 percent gets taken to the landfill.
In the mid 90's I was working in Jersey and the bags of trash would wash up on shore from the dump ships out of New York City .

Connie just pointed out to me that we are the generation that invented plastic bags in order to save millions of trees that were used to make paper bags. :)

IMHO plastic bags were used to save millions of dollars by people who don't care or did not consider trees nor the impact of the bags on our environment.

Most trees used in paper bag production as are trees used for building lumber and telephone poles are a crop from farms not trees which grow wild. The paper bags also are made from recycled fiber. When you shop bring your own paper bags or linen bags if your store does not provide them. I personally don't care if the store supplies plastic or paper so long as they supply it and include it in their over all cost.

The environmentalists are always talking about renewable resources. The tree is the most renewable, it grows back. A couple of months ago I tried some cloth re-usable bags. I liked it because I can carry a lot more without the bag ripping and groceries falling all over the ground and my toes.

I have a ton of old cloth bags thrown in a big ole cardboard box.

They all say on them Crown Royal. Nice hotel.

Back