valve guides

the local kart shop near me drives the old ones out. Heats the head and freeze the guide and drives the new ones in. And reams the new quide for the stock valve. Then cuts the valve seat and lap to seal. 100 bucks or more.

the local kart shop near me drives the old ones out. Heats the head and freeze the guide and drives the new ones in. And reams the new quide for the stock valve. Then cuts the valve seat and lap to seal. 100 bucks or more.
$100 for a single angle valve job???? does that include a new valve, guide and spring?? for both or one?

Not a job for DIY'ers. Not trying to discourage doing things on your own, but this is a job best left to someone with the tools, knowledge, and experience to do the job correctly. Proper valve guide and seat machining is critical for top performance.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

$100 for a single angle valve job???? does that include a new valve, guide and spring?? for both or one?
Good work isn't cheap, cheap work isn't good. If they aren't setup for karting or small engine work the result is likely going to be lack luster. With how little power these engines already produce I think a new head is a better option. I had a big car shop do a guide in a world formula and it was so loud on the flow bench, as suspected it was down on power on the dyno compared to others we had done.

IMO that's pretty high. my clone is refreshed for $300 and includes, guides, valves, springs, gaskets, valve job (3 angle on a serdi) new plug, etc etc labor and dyno tuned.
and that's by one of the best national builders in the country

IMO that's pretty high. my clone is refreshed for $300 and includes, guides, valves, springs, gaskets, valve job (3 angle on a serdi) new plug, etc etc labor and dyno tuned.
and that's by one of the best national builders in the country
These are just examples...
Clone piston $10-20. World formula piston $100
Clone rod $10-20, world formula rod $100

Briggs stuff is always grossly more than clone stuff

valves are nearing $20 a piece for a world formula, i have no experience with lo206 if its the same valves or not

dyno cams ground animal exhaust 19.75.. OEM 20.75 PPM stainless exhaust valve $13.97
and the briggs stuff is made in Asia just like the clone.

What does $100 even buy nowadays? My friend paid $450 for paintless dent repair for two different spots. Took the guy basically an hour. $100 for a valve job is hardly worth mentioning.

Reactions: b40
agreed. I spoke too soon but why is labor more on the briggs motor over the clone?
Why do you assume this guy charges more for Briggs than clones? He may charge that much for clone guide replacement too for all we know.

FWIW, I've never even heard of an engine builder who would replace guides only and not machine the seats. You MUST machine the seats after installing new guides (Briggs OR clone) to get them perfectly concentric to the new guides. There's a LOT more to it than driving guides in and out with a hammer (but you're welcome to try if you're not concerned with performance.)

A new briggs guide has an undersized ID which needs to be reamed and honed to the valve stem clearance spec. The job should utilize an alignment jig, careful measuring followed by trueing of the valve seats. I don't think a good valve seat replacement would just be hammering out and in a couple of guides. But I do think some people think "building motors" only requires a hammer, wrenches, drill, sand paper and paint.

Back