Valve lash & headers

Mrdavid78

2 questions. 1- what happens if the valve lash is set to tight ?? And 2- whats the differences in all the header pipes ? Both questions have to do with a clone unrestricted..

Too tight they don't like to start.
Plus you could burn a valve or seat .
Fit and some power difference's.

I think if you get it started it should come out of it .
I never ran them too tight cause of the no start . Now the trick is use a indicator to set them at a minus . 001 or . 002

Clone usually wont start if lash too tight, as for running like crap, nothing to do with too tight of a lash.
Headers differences are tubing size, angles, length, stages.

Ok that makes me feel a little better with the lash. The header shapes are just different shapes, lengths or any advantages? Again thanks for the info..

Most engines built by a respectable builder will be tuned with a certain pipe for peak power and performance. Every engine builder has their own preference of where they like the power and performance for their builds.

I was racing in a sealed Animal class at our local track. During one of our race days, almost everyone in our class was pulling away from me on the main straight. So before the feature, I grabbed the hacksaw and cut about 1.5 inches off the header. They weren't pulling away from me after that. Several people came up to me afterward, wanting to know how sawing off the header made it run faster.

I was racing in a sealed Animal class at our local track. During one of our race days, almost everyone in our class was pulling away from me on the main straight. So before the feature, I grabbed the hacksaw and cut about 1.5 inches off the header. They weren't pulling away from me after that. Several people came up to me afterward, wanting to know how sawing off the header made it run faster.
Was this just an arbitrary move?

Back