Valve Lash

Interesting that the topic of advertised opening and closing numbers on the cam card has never been discussed in relationship to the valve lash. Those numbers were put there by the manufacturer. However,. Setting lash cold at .003 as stated by the card means when the engine is hot the lash now has .006. I decided to make you guys think a little.

It takes the practice of doing it 100s of times, and of course, you need throttle input to keep it running till it gets hot.

You can use a piece of rope (to put under the valve with Piston at TDC compression stroke to keep valve from dropping down to far) or you can use a tie strap with piston at TDC.
I use a L Allen wrench put it in the spark plug hole and hold the valve closed

BE97DDD4-D10C-4E95-A67A-40EEF03CBF0A.png

That’s the tool I use, picked it up on eBay. Works like a champ!

Yes. Once you place the coated hook under the valve you run the threaded spark plug end down till it bottoms out and then tighten up the set screw in the hex portion of the spark plug insert. That will hold everything in place and allow you to use both hands to remove the rockers and springs. Sounds complicated but it is really simple to use.

I have one of these. I have a heck of a time getting the thread started. It would be nice if they chambfered the start of the threads or had a lead in diameter to help with starting the thread in.

Last edited by a moderator:
The allen key works fine it takes no effort it does no harm to the piston it barely touches it. We could change springs in the pits in 10 minutes did it many times.

If I were going to redesign the tool, I would make it 2 inches longer, with a longer nut to make screwing into spark plug hole easier.
I have the same problem threading rope into the hole.

Just need a crewman with gynecologist hands. Lol
A gynecologist had become fed up with malpractice insurance and HMO paperwork,
and was burned out. Hoping to try another career where skillful hands would be
beneficial, he decided to become a mechanic. He went to the local technical
college, signed up for evening classes, attended diligently, and learned all he
could.
When the time of the practical exam approached, the gynecologist prepared
carefully for weeks, and completed the exam with tremendous skill. When the
results came back, he was surprised to find that he had obtained a score of
150%. Fearing an error, he called the Instructor, saying, “I don’t want to
appear ungrateful for such an outstanding result, but I wonder if there is an
error in the grade?”
“The instructor said, “During the exam, you took the engine apart perfectly,
which was worth 50% of the total mark. You put the engine back together again
perfectly, which is also worth 50% of the mark.”
After a pause, the instructor added, “I gave you an extra 50% because you did it
all through the muffler, which I’ve never seen done in my entire career”.

If you want to know the proper valve lash on your motor measure it as soon as you get it back from the builder.

If I were going to redesign the tool, I would make it 2 inches longer, with a longer nut to make screwing into spark plug hole easier.
I have the same problem threading rope into the hole.

Just need a crewman with gynecologist hands. Lol
I've heard that a deaf one will still be employed cause he can still read lips. Hahaha

all my motors have preload. Worsham, Miller, and Speed Clinic. all feel like they have no compression cold. all fire up without issue and I usually fire them up seated in the kart. I asked Tod if he would just sell me an extra head so I could just send the head back for rebuilds . he said no because it was more involved than that. he told me he sets the preload with the dyno. so its a little more involved than just putting .00whatever prelude on and hoping for the best.

Interesting .
Still there must be a preconcieved plan of what will be best . More then three pulls to get it right would be , seemingly unproductive.
there is a reason the best are the best though .

Back