Vegas Carts 440 at Daytona

Bob Drye

I can proudly state that the 440s not only held together with stock pistons, they rocked. As opens go they are mild yet they proved to be faster than a Tag. Nothing with out a gearbox could keep up with us from a standing start. We put hundereds of miles on two 440s running then wide open most of the time and experenced no engine failures at all. We kept the valves adjusted and spent the rest of the time tuning to the track.

Glad to hear it!! I may look into one of these for a track-day kart... Where can I get info on what y'all changed before you ran 'em?

This is a build sheet for the 440 that came in 2nd place.
Raceseng 1.3 rockers, Parsons pushrods, Parsons 38mm/33mm valves, 55lb springs, Mild port and polish, ARC rod, Parsons 258 dur cam, Raceseng lifters, Bal crank, Vegas Carts intake, Mikuni 36mm round carb.
Glad to hear it!!

I may look into one of these for a track-day kart... Where can I get info on what y'all changed before you ran 'em?

It was quite the experience watching them on the track, FAST! The big 4-cycle engines sound like a big ol' Harley passing by, low revving torque monsters. The best place to watch them was on the infield gobbling up the TAGS. You definitely heard them long before you saw them.... thud, thud, thud...... The only downside is that now I need to have one.

It was quite the experience watching them on the track, FAST! The big 4-cycle engines sound like a big ol' Harley passing by, low revving torque monsters. The best place to watch them was on the infield gobbling up the TAGS. You definitely heard them long before you saw them.... thud, thud, thud...... The only downside is that now I need to have one.

good post i like it ! and i love my OHV Clone its not a Vegas Karts Engine , but pretty much the same thing

Hah I can relate, the track owner came over and said I was rattling the windows on the kart shop when I went by with my 420cc :) I asked if I was over the sound limit and he said no, but it's such a deep note compared to the others.
What is interesting, is that old saying torque wins races. The tag motors have 22-30HP depending on make but only 11-16ft/lbs of torque. The stock 420cc predator makes over 19ft/lbs of torque and a built BB gets into the 30's as already noted:)

Looks like Vegas sold out of the 440's again he doesn't have any on his site.

Last edited:
I have a low hours stock real Honda gx390 for sale $200 plus shipping. doesnt have a recoil or exhaust. cell# 507 202 5040

Hey guys I just ordered a 460 from geoff and it should be here this week. My thinking was that a stock one would compare favorably to a built 106cc but now I'm looking to squeeze a little more out of it.

The heads were shaved .100
What moves should I make first. Carb? Cam? Head work? Thanks

Back