Vented brake rotor reco

crewdaddy

Looking to upgrade the brake rotor on my Phenom chassis to accommodate the greater loads due to moving up from stock animal to 30 hp motor. I see the cast iron vented rotors and I also see the Seay HiPo SuperBrake. How do they compare...what are the pros and cons? Which way to go? Will both work with the std Phenom caliper?

we have the thick cast iron on our phenom with a kt and its better, but still lacks a bit. phenom has the mini light brake and its not really compatible with the bigger brake rotor's. I think there 6" vs 7 " plus dia. for seay's brake rotor.

This Phenom started life as a Champ and raced as an F200. Brake rotor measures approx. 7" so I'm guessing that it's not the mini-lite brake setup - appears larger than that on an icon or Seraph. SO, assuming it can handle the upgraded rotor, anyone have any feedback on cast versus 3-piece machined plate set-up?

If you use the minilite caliper, which I don't recommend, your only option for vented rotors is MCP's vented kit which is an European shifter kart front rotor turned down in diameter a bit and fitted to a custom mcp 3 prong hub (won't fit the standard minilite 3 prong without mods). I guess you could fabricate a relocation bracket and use a standard Euro rear brake but then you'll have to manufacture a spacer from 40mm to 1.25" with keyways for each -- not fun. So, I'd get a standard MCP caliper setup and a Ripley rotor from Comet Kart Sales or similar... The Seay SuperBrake is nice, but I've heard that the aluminum expands and can cause bind -- perhaps they've solved that issue? I know Seay offers good products, so it wouldn't surprise me if they fixed that issue... Good luck!

If you have a Mini Lite caliper we have long offered the Mini Superbrake used by tons of guys on Opens and Limiteds. If you have a mini lite caliper and want to use our large 7" SUperbrake, then you need a bracket form your manufacture to mount the large caliper. I am sure most manufactures offer this. In addition, MCP has a "wide" caliper that doesn't require the use of a spacer. We provide the spacer with all our calipers. ANY rotor is prone to excessive heat issues. I have seen the Ripley cast rotor crack and explode on multiple occasions. We have worked extensively with those who have used our brake to its maximum capacity as well and have helped it to evolve into a better product. We believe the current offering to a superior product.

Back