Vintage kart sampler: C-Open

Pete_Muller

As many/most of you know, the Vintage karting world really encompasses two "factions":

- The "real" vintage which covers rear engine karts (and some sidewinders) going all the way back to the late 50's. Most of these are show-pieces and gorgeous work-of-art restorations. The races are typically more "gentlemanly", and of course the pace is typically a bit slower since most of these karts are running on "period correct" skinny/hard tires (and are worth a significant amount of money).

- The other portion of vintage karting covers primarily single and twin engine Yamaha KT100 classes, plus B-Limited and C-Open (referring to these last two in their classic/vintage names). Some of the B-Limited and C-Open karts duplicate the significant "creativity" that was common from about the mid-70s to the mid-80s in those classes.

Here is a current example of a "C-Open" (rules state that engines must be less than 150cc displacement). This kart is the creation of the "Swantek Brothers" from Southern California. I received this photo today, as they were out testing this beast at the Adams Kart Track in Riverside, CA., where the largest west-coast Vintage gathering will take place February 3-5, 2022.

PM

C-open.jpeg

VKA Adam's 2022 is setting up to be a Fantastic event..... If you have not seen these fine vintage race karts in action before.... Come on out and see for yourself..... February, 3rd, 4th and 5th.... Heat Races on Saturday.

These Vintage Race Karts are spectacular to see up close and on the track in action.... Make plans to come and see this super event.

The west coast guys bring some awesome machines and drivers to New Castle every year, including the one pictured. Here's some of the rear C-Opens we run. While it is technically a demonstration of the older karts rather than a true race, you are correct that is more gentlemanly at the vintage events. The period correct tires required on the rear engine karts do present some challenges, however, speed is not an issue-these things rip. Once you've been on a dual, you're forever changed. What a blast.
Dual on grid.jpg

New Castle is a spectal.... Vintage or otherwise.... For us it's a long trip, but always rewarding.... Mark Dismore's track is second to none

Attachments

• 538647_311420225625837_542601758_n.jpg
    538647_311420225625837_542601758_n.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 23
Left to right, Richard Mahaffay, John Woods, Howard Combee, Joe Swantek, Richard Swantek, Rocky Buff, Garrett Adams and Vintage Super Nationals 150cc Single Runner-up Logan Adams

This was the California Connection at NCMP in June of this year.

Attachments

• Combee Leads_2.jpg
    Combee Leads_2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 57
I completely neglected to mention Vintage enduro/road racing! Maybe someone can jump in and post a schedule of races?

Also, is there Vintage dirt racing??

PM

I completely neglected to mention Vintage enduro/road racing! Maybe someone can jump in and post a schedule of races?

PM
Not any really organized dirt racing. I have been thinking that somebody will start running older straight rail chassis with flatheads or older 2 strokes but have only seen them in a couple of places. God only knows how many old chassis and flatheads are just laying around.

PM
We had a gentleman run a Open/UAS race with us a few years back on a bug with twin macs. Was cool to see and chat about in the pits.

Pete, there is a track in Ohio that has a full vintage class. I forget the name…

As many/most of you know, the Vintage karting world really encompasses two "factions":

- The "real" vintage which covers rear engine karts (and some sidewinders) going all the way back to the late 50's. Most of these are show-pieces and gorgeous work-of-art restorations. The races are typically more "gentlemanly", and of course the pace is typically a bit slower since most of these karts are running on "period correct" skinny/hard tires (and are worth a significant amount of money).

- The other portion of vintage karting covers primarily single and twin engine Yamaha KT100 classes, plus B-Limited and C-Open (referring to these last two in their classic/vintage names). Some of the B-Limited and C-Open karts duplicate the significant "creativity" that was common from about the mid-70s to the mid-80s in those classes.

Here is a current example of a "C-Open" (rules state that engines must be less than 150cc displacement). This kart is the creation of the "Swantek Brothers" from Southern California. I received this photo today, as they were out testing this beast at the Adams Kart Track in Riverside, CA., where the largest west-coast Vintage gathering will take place February 3-5, 2022.

PM

View attachment 19347
Went to Adams this year 2022 , was a lot fun . I saw this Kart >> Swantek Golden One Kart << .

Attachments

• B4DAE55D-78FB-4914-B30D-2F1FFAD978BA.jpeg
    B4DAE55D-78FB-4914-B30D-2F1FFAD978BA.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 32
Back