Want everyone's opinion!!!

I am not saying this is the case, but we all make mistakes, and bad calls sometimes. The thing is...do we learn from them? Admit we did? And try no to repeat?

I know I have made my share of bad calls, and mistakes. I also will admit, and try not to repeat them.

Some time ago, I was having problems with everyones "Last lap, anything goes" mentality.
I told everyone at the drivers meeting that if you follow someone for the entire race, and boot them on the last lap, you will be disqualified. I stand by that to this day.

The next week, in the Jr Unrestricted class, a kid done just that. He followed the leader for 14 laps. on the last lap he layed back going into turn 3, got a heck of a run coming out of 4, and slammed into the back of the leader. The leader spun, coming to rest 5 feet from the flag stand.

I disqualified the kid, for spinning the leader coming to the checkerd, Which I still believe was the right call. What I did that I am not so sure about now is, I gave the kid that was spun, the win.
I caught hell from the parents of the 3rd place kid.

After I made the call, I had a feeling I had messed up, but what do ya do. its too late then.

Did the kid deserve to win? After leading the whole race sure he did.

Would he have won if the 2nd place kid hadn't taken him out? Sure he would have.

Should I have given him the win, even though he didn't cross the checkerd? Still not so sure about that, but They quit with the "Last lap, anything goes" mentality.

If you follow someone the whole race... they are probably blocking you and will either be a fight after the race or they are getting punted at the end. At least that is my experience. What happened to Eddie was not fair nor justified. Like i said, I like seeing the others win also but I do not like seeing someone make such a bad call and then have NO explanation for it what so ever. I work for Brian and am married to Eddie so you can understand my frustration. The 3 of them were bumper to bumper the last lap and when push came to shove, Eddie crossed the line first, therefore Eddie deserved the win. I'm not ok with how this weekend went and I thank God they had transponders because I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere around when they were deciding what to do there. But I will repeat that there was NO favoritisim toward the first 2 drivers. It was just a dumb called made by an inexperienced promoter. (meaning he doesn't have a long history in the sport). As a wife the call was bogus. As an official that call was made up and caused all this drama and for what?????

agreed, in any situation, we will all make good or bad calls....but when the checkered flag falls, it's all over. you can't go back and say that you're going back to the last completed lap, because the last completed lap was the white flag lap in this case. sickle hill....you at least admit that you're not perfect and try. whether you gave the win away or stuck with the call made, you admit that you have reservations.

hind sight will always be 20/20 and there's not much that anyone can do with the call that was made, but 3rd got screwed and even if he acted like a gentleman and didn't try and pull the responsible person's lips out his rearend, that would be the last time that i visited that track. screw me once, shame on you....screw me twice, shame on me.....and i don't particularly like to give someone a second chase at screwing me over, regardless of the coulda, shoulda and woulda's that they profess to apologize for. 3rd place won fair and square and to have it taken from him is plain old fashioned WRONG!!!!!

Oh!! i'm not the mikey that was in the race, but i feel for him!!

Is this a Nascar track ? because nascar does stuff close to this for JR, JJ, JG and most of all Rick H, but not as bad as this .....Hey 3rd place fella go collect your winnings.........

I'm not saying there were favorites being made I'm just flat out saying it was the wrong call! Eddie B needed to walk up and claim his check he deserved! Eddie, you got hosed man! FTP, good luck getting kart count with crap like this!

If you quit going to a track or series everytime someone is hosed on a call you are gonna run out of places to race pretty quick.

No, I'll just wait until that company is no longer involved with this track and the owner starts promoting his own track again I'll be there!

I wonder what everyones opinion is of what should happen to racers who decide to re create scenes from Days of Thunder after the checkered flag?

I got DQ'd didn't argue a bit, shook Brian's hand load my stuff and left.. Anything else Speedy? Now that we're off topic, may as well continue... But lets back up first, we hadn't even taken the green flag yet and the guy drove into the side of me so hard it folded up me nerf bar and pushed the side panel into my arm, and still threw the green... Then entering turn 3 getting ready to take the checkered get drove into again by the same guy this time breaking me seat, and shoving my seat so hard it got into the clutch it went through the seat and tore through my coat and tore the flesh off my body!!! But, I probably should have just let that go..... Yes, I followed him around the track and was extremely mad.! And also I have pictures and bloody bandages to prove it if you or anyone would like to see it!

Not off topic at all, thread is called What's your opinion. But nope that's all I got thanks for clarifying I didn't see any of it.

If my son was leading and 2nd took him out and 3rd took the checkered first, and then the promoter/director took that away and gave my son the first after all--------------------my son would have marched it right back to the rightful winner. Just my opinion. Every trophy he has he earned.

I would say a bad call. Just don't go back. Some places have rules for you and rules for everyone else. People take folks out all the time and don't get a warning but if you do you get black flagged or DQd for some silly reason. As kart racers we don't have a sanctioning body to hold track officials accountable. Rules are broken every week from age in kids classes, such as how does a 9 year old kid race jr 1 and jr 2? One weekend while on race monitor I noticed a kid who raced all 3 of the jr classes, yes 1,2 and 3. It's all about money. We go for fun and though its hard to have fun with so much against you but we try.

This is why I drive 2hr&15 min 1 way to my favorite race track. They are fair & consistent have the best racing surface in the whole state of SC!! They are Danny Prince Fran & Dale Cox at southern kartway. I've seen that very thing happen & 3rd place got the win!

Once the white flag is thrown the only other flag to follow is the checkered. Now you can throw the checkered with a yellow or you can throw the checkered with a black flag. Checkered with a yellow will result in the race finished under caution and the checkered with a black flag would mean the race finished under a protest. However the 3rd place kart should have won the race. It is unfortunate that the 1st and 2nd place kart took themselves out. This is something you always think about when your racing and your in 3rd place. You say to yourself it would be nice if the leaders took themselves out. Coincidence.... If they were able to get going then they finish how they come across the start/finish line. If they were unable to get started then I would score them in last place with the original 1st place kart ahead of the original 2nd place kart. Like everyone else stated, If I was in 3rd place and won the race I would want an explanation of the ruling and show me in the Rule Book on how you came to that conclusion. A Race Director has the right to make changes to the rules. However they would have to make the announcement at the drivers meeting. 1st and 2nd place should have not accepted the finish knowing they did not win the race.

KingEnterprises-I appreciate all the time and money you have put into this track to help get it going again but guess you don't know bout the local businesses that put up money to help!I work for one of those and want to see the track get up and running again!But with calls like that people are not going to come!We are a small time operation!Don't have unlimited money to spend on karting but my son put his kart on the pole for the pro flathead race!Just think the call was bad!I have been around racing my whole life!Never seen anything like that!Thanks for your dedication and love for racing but I care about this place too!!!!!

This is why I drive 2hr&15 min 1 way to my favorite race track. They are fair & consistent have the best racing surface in the whole state of SC!! They are Danny Prince Fran & Dale Cox at southern kartway. I've seen that very thing happen & 3rd place got the win!

Now Kenny, You know we have a great racing surface, and are fair. Yes we may make a bad call every now and then, but we admit it and learn from it.

We had something like this happen, 2nd place kid dumped my daughter coming outa 2 on the last lap, flat out dumped her driving into her left rear and went on to the lead. They did a green white checkered, my daughter 2nd to last and the kid that dumped her last.

Back