WD 40 a good tire softener?

When we began we started using WD as a regular prep but we changed to a default prep. but All I want is your opinions on if the tires get hard if we can just put WD on them instead of our Hot Laps 2. Which is better? Is that a forbidden question lol.

Thanks for any help.

WD-40 has changed formulation recently (within the past decade.) IMO, it would still be good to add some oils back into some hardened rubber, but it not effective in the sense you're looking for. If combined with another softening agent, it may be acceptable as a longer term (mid-week) prep, but I wouldn't put it on my tires during a raceday. WD is, however, a good treatment for bodywork to keep mud, etc. from sticking...

WD40 and turpentine.....mmm.....mmm good. And guaranteed to get you kicked out of the house by the Mrs's.
This is not a raceday application or you'll be all over the place on the track, midweek I'd roll on or brush it on, let it dry and then bag/wrap them up.

To answer your question, yes you can use the WD40 during the week on your tires instead of your hotlap2 if your trying to just keep the tires fresh and keep oils in them. You can also mix the WD40 and hot lap a little to get more out of your tires, like 75% WD and 25% HL2, or 50/50. I would mix them 50/50 if your gonna mix them. Best choice would be to buy your Hotlap2 by the gallon and use it on/in your tires during the week and at the track both, this would give you better results out of the tires.

I sprayed my tires with wd40, placed them in trash bags and stored them in a heated basement. Good idea??

if you have a temp controlled basement, that is the perfect place to store your tires, but leave them out of the trash bags, and set the temp a little cool, this will help keep the tires in good condition and cure them some during the off season. Just put a good liberal coat of WD on before you store them, and keep it dark if possible

How about pb-blaster by itself. Would that be considered goat swet instead of pee?
It works for us at the track if you work it in and let it dry. Doesn't destroy the tire
without the other ingredient of goat pee.

Dont know about PB, its a penetrating oil. I did not know it was part of the goat pee ingredients, from what I remember goat pee is 100% methynapthalene or something like that, not a mixture of chemicals like most prep, but I could be wrong. Never really paid much attention to what its made of

Dont know about PB, its a penetrating oil. I did not know it was part of the goat pee ingredients, from what I remember goat pee is 100% methynapthalene or something like that, not a mixture of chemicals like most prep, but I could be wrong. Never really paid much attention to what its made of
Lots of different ingredient combinations on line listed as "goat pee".
We ran across this one: 50/50 Tolulene and PB Blaster = yellow prep that is marketed under the name Goat Pee.
We tryed it some but I wondered if the tolulene was what was destroying the tires.
You know; you see some old used tires that look like a dryed up mud flat.(cracks everywhere)
So we started using the PB only. Don't have a durometer but it seems to work, going by
feel and fingernail duro.(high tech.)
I think we are all lost in this monkey see monkey do kart racing.(me too)
I do try to look away once and a while and actually think for myself.
You'd be suprised what you can figure out without prep.
It's like this: Do you want to be the monkey looking or the monkey being looked at?
LOL. I still love karts and racing but some of these monkeys have forgotten
how fun it is and that it is supposed to be! Take care(wear gloves)....

Back