Wearing the inside of RF like crazy!!!

sbevills

What could be causing me to eat up the inside of my RF in one race weekend??? I went out for a practice day a couple of weeks ago on a set of tires that I had just flipped for the first time, fresh inside shoulder.

I made no more laps than I would in a normal race weekend and I completely ran the inside shoulder off the right front. The tire wasn't feathered at all. I was on 2.5 camber and about 8lbs of air. I run super heavy clone on a med/high bite banked track.

Kart was a little tight apex off is the only thing I can think off that could have ate it up. It wasn't crazy tight and made pretty good speed.

Any an all suggestions to look at are appreciated.

8lbs of air on a high bite track, in super heavy, sounds like a little low of air pressure, and could be why you were a little tight apex off. How soft were your tires? And what kind of tires are you on?

Triton?
Are you running maxxis? Are you pushing? Does the RF seem to be hopping? The more info you give the better your answers will be. I would think 8lbs would be fine. Have you had this problem in the past?

Its a 08 Icon and I was on pink maxxis. Tires were punching around 50 and didnt feather at all, my experience (limited!!) is when I go to soft I would feather the tires in a 8-10 lap session. This is the first time ive ran into eating a RF up that fast. I did have a little problem with it hopping on the RR the first time out and added a little left.

I was thinking about adding some rear stagger to help my apex off, currently running 1.5 front and rear on our 1/8 mile track.

Thanks for the comments any suggestions or guidance to getting me going it the right direction is greatly appreciated!

I was thinking about adding some rear stagger to help my apex off, currently running 1.5 front and rear on our 1/8 mile track.

Thanks for the comments any suggestions or guidance to getting me going it the right direction is greatly appreciated!

I always wonder why nobody tells me the radius of the turns. "1/8" doesn't say very much about the track. Just walking off the distance between the center lines of the straight would help. One step is about 3 feet. My steps anyway. You might check yours.

I always wonder why nobody tells me the radius of the turns. "1/8" doesn't say very much about the track. Just walking off the distance between the center lines of the straight would help. One step is about 3 feet. My steps anyway. You might check yours.

Al, wouldn't you also need the banking, stagger, weight % and castor/camber also? (can't remember which is tilt of the tires)
Bill

Its a 08 Icon and I was on pink maxxis. Tires were punching around 50 and didnt feather at all, my experience (limited!!) is when I go to soft I would feather the tires in a 8-10 lap session. This is the first time ive ran into eating a RF up that fast. I did have a little problem with it hopping on the RR the first time out and added a little left.

Just adding that stagger is not going to cure your problem.

If that 2.5 is neg. camber, you might want to add a little pos., like 1/2 deg. and maybe you should try to check your tire temps. right after coming off track, an Infared pyrometer run across the tread of your tire would spot too much or too little camber right away.

Do you resurface your own tires ? If so when the tire was on the wheel originally its easy to knock more off the outside edge of the tire with your sander/grinder therefore its possible you had that side already cut down fairly low then when you flipped the tire it wore thru quick.... you may have had more of the wear hole showing on the outside before you flipped it but the shoulder may have been low.... just a guess.

C: 60
L: 60.1 (I moved the seat left about 1/2" at the track to help with the RR hop and haven't rescaled yet to verify where it is currently)
N: 47
-2.5 RF camber, +.5 LF camber
1.5 stagger front and rear
1/8 pill hole down on left side, 0 pill on right side, 39.25 track width.
Seat is mounted 8.5" of the axle.
475 total weight

I have a xfactor spindle and washers are dang near maxed out. Tires were not fresh, last season pull offs bought in a lot from a tire guy. I did not grind them at all just prepped them and the inside shoulder appeared fresh, all three lines and about 1/2" of the shoulder appeared to have never seen the track or been ground on.

The track is black gumbo clay, I was able to run all last season with two sets of tires. Only difference in my setup now is I switched to a xfactor spindle and went from running 1/16 pill hole up to 1/8 pill hole down in the LR. Moved my cross from 63.5 to 60.

If stagger wont help my problem what might? Cant get any additional cross without changing the LR pill and I was already advised to steer away from that.

my opinion would be having the 60 cross and 60 left you would be in the dead zone, personally with the icon id start some where at like 58 - 59 left 62- 64 cross an 46 nose bc im guessing your a bigger guy and your transferring alot making the rf slide and rf camber id bump to -3.
like i said this is all my opinion im sure someone else will chime in

thats not what will cause his push center off,its possible its a camber issue or to low of stagger,to high of ls weight,theres a muti reasons why...
8lbs of air on a high bite track, in super heavy, sounds like a little low of air pressure, and could be why you were a little tight apex off. How soft were your tires? And what kind of tires are you on?

As stated in my last post the only way to bump my cross up is to change the pills in the LR and I have had multiple people tell me not to change it got the 1/8 pill hold down. I'm running a higher left side to keep from having a pretty rough RR hop from apex out.

Well in reality you changed 2 things, the spindle and you used unknown tires and you prepped them. That's 3.
I believe it is a tire issue and not setup. hopping typically relates to a loss of traction and sliding the tire as a result.
What prep ? Are you sure your toe was set correctly.
Actually 4 you moved the seat which helped some.
how far off the motor rail currently.
no wiggy bar?

Back