Weight conundrum

Tulsakevin

Site Supporter
My son and are are starting this year, in fact on Sunday, we have to scale our karts. I have leveled the scales, equal to pressure, full fours, full equipment, race ready driving position and here are our numbers. Lf-49.9, Rf 52.2, Lb 67.5, Rb 81.2. we need to add about 35lbs to get to the 285 requirement. When I run the numbers through a few crossweight calculators, we need to be at Lf 60.4, Rf 61, Lb 81.8, and Rb 82.6. The problem is, using the kartbalance program, all the weight that I need to add to get to a 43/57 fb and a 50 lr and 50 crossweight, are basically sitting on the spindles themselves. Basically way way way out of what is possible. What options do I have, I know if I try to fix weight to the chassis, then that is will severely damper it and can fix it to the side skirts. Unfortunately, I need to add 40lbs to my cart so I am going to be in the same boat as well. Any suggestions. 2018 birel ry30

My son and are are starting this year, in fact on Sunday, we have to scale our karts. I have leveled the scales, equal to pressure, full fours, full equipment, race ready driving position and here are our numbers. Lf-49.9, Rf 52.2, Lb 67.5, Rb 81.2. we need to add about 35lbs to get to the 285 requirement. When I run the numbers through a few crossweight calculators, we need to be at Lf 60.4, Rf 61, Lb 81.8, and Rb 82.6. The problem is, using the kartbalance program, all the weight that I need to add to get to a 43/57 fb and a 50 lr and 50 crossweight, are basically sitting on the spindles themselves. Basically way way way out of what is possible. What options do I have, I know if I try to fix weight to the chassis, then that is will severely damper it and can fix it to the side skirts. Unfortunately, I need to add 40lbs to my cart so I am going to be in the same boat as well. Any suggestions. 2018 birel ry30

Right now you are sitting at 40.7% Nose, 59.3% Rear

Right now you are sitting at 46.8% Left, 53.2% Right

Right now you are sitting at 47.7% Cross

You need to increase your Nose by 2.3%, your Left by 3.2%, and your Cross by 2.3%

With 35 lbs to add, I would add 10 lbs of weight to the front bumper, and i would add 20 to the left side of the seat, and 5 lbs to the right side of the seat.

If you can move the seat at all, make sure it is all the way forward, and as far to the right as you can get it before hitting the engine/gears

If the kart has washers in the front spindles to raise up and down, raise the LF up 2 washers, or the RF down 2 washers.

Thank you for the reply, for clarification for me, if I am right heavy, moving the seat all the way right, I would assume that that would increase the weight over the back right. I am sure there is a reason why though. Also when I put the weight on the front bumper, any specific site or location. Again, we are one month in so I have no knowledge. I greatly appreciate you help. Thank you.

Is this for sprint racing or oval?
Some pretty basic numbers for sprint racing (turning left and right on asphalt) would be 43% front 57% rear and 50 - 50 left and right.
Negative 1/2* camber on front. Zero on the toe.
I would put the weight inside the circumference of the frame of the kart. By that i don't mean putting it inside the frame rails. I would put it in front of the steering shaft on the bracket that supports the steering shaft or on the floor pan. Keep safety in mind please.
I don't mean to put lead shot inside the frame rails.

Back