WF Motor Fuel Leak

Superdave

Does anyone have anyinput on this?
I have notice while running my WF motor I see a fuel leak at about 6500 rpm. it is coming from a brass tube (emulsion tube?) from a hole in it on the bottom of the tube. This tube is located right next to the choke lever and faces my exhaust. I am concerned about a fire while racing......I believe this is an overflow tube, for when the fuel bowl gets too full. The float is superpose to keep this from overflowing......I have a couple of theory's. #1 the float is not adjusted correctly do to the angle mount I am using. #2 I removed my old float and weighed it at 8.32 and a new float weighs 7.95.... a heavy float will not cut off fuel at the proper time. is this weight difference significant? #3 I can put a tube over it and place it vertical to catch the over vented fuel.
Thank you

Dave
I was hoping someone else would chime in here but since they haven't here goes.
It's unusual for fuel to come out of that hole. Usually it comes out of the overflow hose. Check that hose and the fitting on the carb for blockage.
Then i would run the engine, shut it off and disconnect the fuel line from the carb.
I would then measure the exact amount of fuel you get out of the carb.
Drain it into a beaker that will measure 50 cc's. If you get more than 50 cc you have too much fuel in the bowl and i would check the float system operation. I would much rather like to see closer to 45 cc's.
My rule for the float is that if it weighs more than 8 grams replace the float and the needle.
Clean the needle seat with a "Q" tip and tooth paste with the "Q" tip in an electric drill.
Adjust the float so it's parallel with the gasket surface.
Do not compress the spring in the needle. Let it rest with it's own weight. do not push on it.

Everything Jim said is right on as usual. I will add that I see fuel coming out of that tube fairly often from karts in front of me! Always a dirty/worn inlet needle and seat and/or float adjustment.

Back