What are the extra holes used for on a steering toe lock?

racerdad

Going to buy this soon, was wondering what the other holes are for? Setting caster I hope. Or at least close for a reference? Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230104-000332_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230104-000332_Samsung Internet.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 18
Yes that is very similar to the one I have. Says 20* one way, zero, 20* opposite way, zero, then straight. Was wondering if anyone knew if the outer holes were close to 20* or not

Yes that is very similar to the one I have. Says 20* one way, zero, 20* opposite way, zero, then straight. Was wondering if anyone knew if the outer holes were close to 20* or not
Like many others I've always used the notches on the L blocks to set caster. Much easier that way IMO. Apologies for not understanding your question better.

Without asking each manufacturer it would be hard to say. But, some use them for checking Camber gain, Ackerman, and with the right tools it can be used to check Caster. But, again without measuring and knowing what angle the stops go to, you'd have to check and measure everything to ensure it's correct.

Fortunately for Karts it's much easier to use a digital level or angle finder and just measure the Caster block degree from 90 in relation to the front and back of the kart. In other forms of motor sports that use suspension or a different type of spindle and hub setup, caster has to be measured with the sweep method. It can be measured on the spindle in some instances, but this might not be as accurate depending on how they're made. But, none of this applies to a kart really, since we can measure right off the caster block. Or you can do the sweep method to ensure that the marks on the chassis are correct or find the angles of some older chassis that weren't marked or check to make sure something isn't bent.

I'm not using a caster block setup. Hoping those outer holes were close to use for that. I don't have turn plates, and when I did try to use them, it was difficult to say the least.

I'm not using a caster block setup. Hoping those outer holes were close to use for that. I don't have turn plates, and when I did try to use them, it was difficult to say the least.
Most Chassis from early 2000's have Caster blocks, but not all so I understand. Measuring it with the Sweep method is about the only way to know. If the Spindles are a typical Barrel design of a kart spindle you could use the level on the barrel of the spindle and that could give you close enough to get you in the ball park or be spot on. You replied with this very question before I could type it out, lol.

The key is keeping it square, and not letting it move around throwing off the measurement.
Edit
(Slight variances in the bearings could alter the measurement, but this shouldn't be enough to really hurt anything.)

Fortunately for Karts it's much easier to use a digital level or angle finder and just measure the Caster block degree from 90 in relation to the front and back of the kart.
Absolutely, easier quicker and at least as accurate. Measure when your kart is on the scale stand.

If you're using an angle finder, just be sure your frame rails are level at the motor rails.
I'm with you on turn plates...LOL What a headache!
You can measure the angle from the centerline of the steering shaft to the center of each setting hole in your steering block to determine the degrees from center. The manufacturer (if you can determine that) should be able to tell you the degrees as well.
The multiple holes are there so you can check caster from the amount of turning (left and right) like you are thinking. Likely no one with current karts even knows how to do this anymore.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Directions on a caster camber gauge will tell you to turn the tire 20° each direction. 20° at the steering lock is not the same as at the tire. The gauge will usually have angles cut on each corner for a reference. It will explain what I mean in the directions. Even easier is just using an angle finder and just referencing kingpin inclination.

This is true for some of the bubble gauges that have the edges tapered on the back side to show the angles. Not all do, but it's especially handy on cars where it's harder to measure the angles you've turned the tires. (This is why turn plates are useful.) But, Digital Caster/camber gauges this method won't work. They're not shaped like that. Almost requires a turn plate, or marking the angles prior to checking caster. All these methods have a varying degree of accuracy.

Also some manufacturers recommend 15 vs 20 degree. I'm not saying one is wrong or right.

Back