What Build(s) would work with these rules?

thechada75

Hello, Everybody. Their is a new kart series at Millbridge in North Carolina called the DNQ series. They have some simple engine rules for the class.

1. Any 6.5 clone engine.
2. Stock appearing (may run a big block carb).
3. No racing Carbs.
4. Must be pull started.
5. Must run on street gas.
6. 375 lbs or 390 lbs with Big Block carb.
7. Open Tire rule.

What type of builds/setup would work with these rules without having a time bomb. Something strong but reliable. The track is about a 1/6 mile wide wet dirt oval.

bigger is better....i'd go with the H/F 212cc Predator. swap out the cam for the CL2 or Mod, 18 to 26 pound springs, hemi predator flat top piston, billet rod, billet flywheel, 390 carb. mill the 730 head about 40 tho, ream the valve guides and install the 5.5 stainless valves. if you go to harbor freight, see if they have one of the predators open or ask if you can take a look and see if you can't get the rtc-6 head casting...can't go wrong with that one!

I would go w/the '730 RTC-6 Predator 'worked' cyl. head and Isky Black Mamba or DynoCams '275' cam w/ Champion Rockers and flattop piston per post #2...JMO

we have tryed to get them to open the engine boxes at Harbor Freight before . they wont do it ........................but ,,,, you can buy it go outside open it up look and bring it back in if it ant what your looking for............;)

the predator (doens't matter which model) is listed on the site and the packaging that the engine comes in as "6.5", so they do fit within the states rules. if you an get one of the hemi predator's in your area, i'd use the bottom end from that one and put the 730 head on it. the hemi predator block lets you use the "normal" 196 clone cams....which is a plus because the regular predator cams can be a bit more expensive....didn't say a lot, but more than the 196 cams...

also, thanks to astrowrench, he said that if you look at the outside of the box and it reads 3800 rpm and not 3600 rpm, then you have the 730 with the big valve head.....

The rules leave so many doors open you could drive a truck through. Lets see "no racing carbs" Ok I can get a great big slide carburetor off a street motorcycle. With the right cam it would be hard to beat. I guess that would not be stock appearing though.

You dont even want to know what id do with those rules....send me a pm if you want chada75, ill get you going

Hemi predator, 265 lift Dyno cam, +.020 billet rod, billet flywheel, 390 carb, big springs, Vegas prepped and grooved.
This is a similar build on poopoo tires on a slick track turning 8100 rpm. Not my kart but is me driving, not set up for me, first time out.
[video]http://youtu.be/sk-1ZrDU96I[/video]

Bored 390 carb, keep compression down for gas, no stroker crank to keep compression release on the cam. 3" bores can be pull started...

on a 1/6th mi its all in excel... the faster you can get from turn to turn the better!!! what kind of budget do you have to work with if I may ask? I would be thinking for a cheap build an s/a carb, 26lbs springs and a mod 2 cam with 1-3 rockers,and a clean port job... if you want to go another step up? look into a 14cc head and a black mamba sr... on a small track like that I think the big carb could hurt as much as help...

on a 1/6th mi its all in excel... the faster you can get from turn to turn the better!!! what kind of budget do you have to work with if I may ask? I would be thinking for a cheap build an s/a carb, 26lbs springs and a mod 2 cam with 1-3 rockers,and a clean port job... if you want to go another step up? look into a 14cc head and a black mamba sr... on a small track like that I think the big carb could hurt as much as help...

Pretty much a "cheap" build since I' only have the older model pre-hemi predator engine. I'm going to try everything on here at least once. The rules are very neat and lets the folks build an strong engine w/o all of the little tech rules to worry about.

The rules leave so many doors open you could drive a truck through. Lets see "no racing carbs" Ok I can get a great big slide carburetor off a street motorcycle. With the right cam it would be hard to beat. I guess that would not be stock appearing though.

I hear you. The DNQ guys and gals are a fun bunch and they don't want to get involved with the drama for the Stock clone rules. as a side note, The last driver to win was running a Stock legal clone.

With those rules it not what you can do so much as, How fast do you want to go? and how much are you willing to spend to get there?

Back