What can I do to remedy this?

schoonie

My son runs a JR2 clone on a 1/10th mile dirt track. Most nights after about 4 or 5 laps, the kart comes alive. The kart gets faster as the race goes on 90% of the time. By the end of the feature he usually is faster or as fast as leader according to the stopwatch. He runs a pretty consistent line throughout the race. How do I get this thing to come alive from the start?

You can do a couple things, try a little less air, maybe a half a pound or so, wipe your tires with something to fire them off it's going to give them bite the first lap or two till the prep in your tires take over. That the first two thing I would look at doing.

My son runs a JR2 clone on a 1/10th mile dirt track. Most nights after about 4 or 5 laps, the kart comes alive. The kart gets faster as the race goes on 90% of the time. By the end of the feature he usually is faster or as fast as leader according to the stopwatch. He runs a pretty consistent line throughout the race. How do I get this thing to come alive from the start?

If you can't keep up for the first 4 or 5 laps, there must also be some on track problem, occurring the first 4 or 5 laps. Identify the on track problem and fix it.

You can't assume it's tires, unless you know it's not something else. It could be the driver needing 4 or 5 laps to learn what is needed to keep up. Not every driver knows what is needed, to go out and be fast right out of the chute. It could also be a clutch issue.

You get it to come alive from the start, by identifying the on track problem slowing it down and fixing it.

There's so many things.... It could be that the engine is just a little rich at the start and as it gets hotter it leans out a little and gets closer to ideal. How long have you two been at this? Do you have a memory gauge? The more information you can supply, the better people can respond to your questions.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

You have a whole bunch of stuff that 'ain't' happening! :) I am 'assuming' you are realitivily new at this and if that's the case, the easiest/quickest way to 'step-up' is too buddy/friend with somebody too be looking over your shoulder in assisting you. There are usually many people willing too Help!! Just say'n....Good Luck

It's the tires, or the driver. Make sure the tires are warm before going out...use tire warmers.
Clock the boy the first few laps....then the later laps.
IF I'm purely guessing, I'm guessing it is the driver. He is warming up to the task in the first few laps, and does not realize that he needs to GO right from the get-go.

Thank you folks... We are relatively new (15 races) and his learning curve seems to be much shorter than mine. I was suspecting maybe tire temps and also maybe just him getting into a rhythm. I use the nogoats info all the time and very much appreciate it. I've had the clutch checked out and it is firing right. I run around 58 cross on my badmax MikeleoneCt. We don't get to race every week due to my work schedule and that also hampers us considerably as far as him getting into a rhythm and me chasing the track conditions. I will try some of these suggestions. Thanks as always for your wisdom and willingness to help.

First you need to confirm is it the Kart or the Driver, I've seen a lot of kids when first starting That do not like to be in tight with the pack so they let things thin out and once there comfortable then they run the kart.

Good Luck !!

The three most important things in racing are seat time, seat time and seat time, except for preparation, preparation and preparation.

... the most important thing in oval kart racing is Bob's 4cycle.com. Usetabe, it was tough to get help at the track from others unless they realized, you had to get faster so you'd be outa everyones way. ... :)

Good advice Jack.. I can try that. Have a friend at the track that would do that for me. My son is pretty good about trying whatever I tell him. He might let it all hang out a little more if someone else advised it though. Thank you.

Gotta stop chasing the track and start anticipating it. Throw your heat race setup in at practice and do what you normally do for the feature in the heat. Then see what it needs.

Back