What is a hemi head?

pds23

I am new to the predators, what is the Hemi head? Is there a advantage to it? also from my research I believe there is 2 predator engines that have been made, which is the best one to get? Is the performance parts available for the predator like there is for the smaller cc clones? I would appreciate any info. thanks

the one they call the hemi is the one with the square style valve cover i believe, it has different style rockers and valvetrain than the other predators if i remember right, but im not sure so dont quote me on that. I remember reading about it on the old site, but havent been into one of those motors myself to see one. I believe the ones that had the hemi head are the 212 predator, not the 208.

yup the new style predator motor has the hemi head on it its the one with the square aluminum valve cover....it has diff style rockers in it...kinda look like the new champion rockers and it has a 27mm intake valve! and a flat top piston and these motors can use the gx200 camshafts and flywheels and for stuffer springs they need to be for the hemi predator there short...i had one spinning 9400 rpm already they take mods good and like bigger carbs!

If you're asking..."What does a hemi-head do(?)"....the answer is that the valves are slightly canted (angled) and provide for superior intake and exhaust flow and flame travel. (Sori guy's...I had too go-there!) :)

need to look again....the new style predator CAN'T use the gx200 flywheel....different taper. everything else is true. arc racing has the new flywheel for the 60636 predator....

Also pushrods are longer,head dowels are in different positions,cylinder head is .125 thicker you'll find this when using certain mfgrs.stud kits,crank appears to have induction hardened rod journal,and overall casting quality is I think Better. I am interested to see new posts on the "hemi" head design which was made popular by Chrysler in their 331,354,392,ci motors in the 50s'

So the predator with the "shiny" valve cover is the hemi head version,correct? A friend of mine just bought a predator at the local harbor freight and it was different than mine and several others that have bought them around my area recently. His valve cover is shaped differently and is more of a dull finish. So is this the older style that is being phased out?

So the predator with the "shiny" valve cover is the hemi head version,correct? A friend of mine just bought a predator at the local harbor freight and it was different than mine and several others that have bought them around my area recently. His valve cover is shaped differently and is more of a dull finish. So is this the older style that is being phased out?

The new, hemi has a cast aluminum valve cover. Its more rectangle.

sounds like you have the old style and your friend got the new hemi style predator. Try to convince him you have the more wanted style and get him to swap engines with you ;)

the thing about the new head is that your limited on what you can do. i've done some reasearch with different engine guys and found that the majority of them are saying that you can't mill it more than 40 thou or you risk piston/valve interference. you can weld the head up and create a smaller combustion chamber and a few other things to bring it up to a workable race head, but i'm leaning more toward getting a 14 c head and using it on top of the new predator bottom end. ARC has a "drop in" piston/rod combo that will give you zero in the hole without milling the piston. this, to me, would be the way to go. the other "plus" with the new motor is that you can use any 196 clone cam in it. you need a predator cam for the older style blocks. i've got one, tore it apart and like what i see....but i think that a LOT more work would need to be done to get the head to work as well as a 14 cc head....

and zach....if the valve cover is shiny, it's the old predator. if the valve cover is dull and looks longer than the shiny one, then it's a new predator.

hemi
IMG_4603.jpg

Thanks guys, that clarifies things. For a rules package that only allows removing the governor, adding racing pipe, and air filter only, do you feel like one is better than the other?

Back