What is the going rate

strong08

I was considering later in the year on getting someone to help me or a crew chief what ever you want to call. Someone to help me get a little better and get some fresh ideals.
What I was wondering is has anyone went down this road in the past and is it worth it, and what is the going rate for something like this?
I am mostly looking for some feedback on the pros and cons.

I think it depends on exactly what you are looking for and for how long? That really needs to be defined first. Is this for an adult or someone to work with a kid? On a per day basis I've seen anywhere from free, to expenses, to 400 to 500 per day. The I work for food is big in racing. That also depends on the level of help wanted. Is this for a local track, or a series that travels? There is a lot of options in this area for both parties to consider and discuss. The biggest downside to this is if you want a really professional to set your stuff up and for the help to work you will have to be willing to give up control of what happens, and be able to accept the failures that comes with this. There is no real magic wand.

You said. Someone to help me get a little better and get some fresh ideals.
For this I'd bet there is another racer at your track or series that is in the same need and if you can both get together and discuss everything you both can benefit.

Over the years and through a very long learning curve. I found some of the best advice and help was at the end of the day after everything has calmed down, to have another racer, or 2, to set down with, have your favorite beverage, or food, and just talk about the day, what worked and what didn't work, and what might work. Walking the track after everything is calmed down with the driver I think is a great help. Let the driver talk and tell you what the kart is either doing or not doing in every turn. Try not to interject what you think or think you know. Listen to the driver and then discuss that with whoever if you don't know what to do. I think two of the best solutions that I have found for working with the kids are.

Is to explain to the driver what you can change and what you either know or think it will do and let the driver decide what they want to try.

The other is let the driver select the tire pressure to use each time out on the track. I think that is about the best thing I have ever done with a driver.

This takes time to develop but the end result is well worth the effort.

One of the better learning curves I had was a period of when the people who parked next to us were in the same class and our kids were very competitive against one another. Us dads became pretty good friends over time. The we starting working together to get both our boys faster. We tried all kinds of setups. But we did things like if I went out at say 15 psi he would go out at 12 or if he had a 16 driver, I'd do a 15 and we match ratio, or go out at different cross settings, and watched what happened then we would swap settings and try again. That time period was one of the best learning periods that I think we ever had. Our kids didn't have a clue that this was going on. In the end it made them both more competitive and better racers.

Ben Braun

Thanks for the answer it was informational, I would be running in the adult classes, I would mostly be in running in Tennessee and Kentucky maybe a few tri-state races through out the year. I have been racing for about 3-4 years I have fairly well, I just need a little something else to be able to really do well. Thanks.

'Ben' in post#3 states ur answer very well. Also...there are a few Good 'reads' on the subject matter if you like too read and have good comprehension. Hey....there ya-go in #4!

Back