What kind of kart is this? *pics*

jacobsdad

I recently bought my son a newer kart to ride for this season. I don't know for sure what kind it is. I know it is a 2000 model of whatever. The engine mount said Legend but I don't know if it is a legend kart or what. We are trying to find good starting numbers for setup.
Here are the pictures I took the other evening, hoping someone can help out with identification.

IMG_0833_zpsbapgrnig.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0832_zpshwp6n0bz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0831_zpsmhxneqhg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It is a Legend. Your 2nd an 3rd pictures show the "Tri sets" where the king pins go through under the spindles. The are used to adjust caster. I believe they were used only on the 1999 year model. There were also 3 different models each using a different thickness tubing if I remember right. -- Chuck

Thanks! I have been looking around the internet some trying to find information on older Legend karts for a starting idea on setup but haven't had a lot of luck. Looking for good starting numbers for a Jr.2 class with a 310 pound minimum weight requirement.

When in doubt with that era kart go with the 55 % balanced set up meaning 55 left, 55 cross, 55 rear which is 45 nose, .5 LF camber, 2.5 RF.

Good Luck !!

Type legend in the top right corner of the forum. There is many threads containing a user named legend... in one post titled “legend chassis” he ask someone to send him an email if they need a setup book. I’d start there. If you click on his name within a tread it will take you to his profile and under his name in profile it will say send email and his address is there. He seems to be knowledgeable about these karts. Good luck!

Will do, thanks Guys!
Racing Promoter, thanks for the information too. The guy we bought the kart from will give me his books and all of his setup information for the last several years. He will be at the track and will help get it adjusted as we need, but I wont be seeing him until racing starts. Just looking for a starting point to get us in the neighborhood. I am kind of excited about Jacob running this kart this season. I wont say it is a faster kart than his Ultramax was, but it has a lot more options for adjustments. He has raced against this kart the last couple of years. I think with our engine program we are using it should be another decent year for him!

Thanks Ken, we will check it out and get it ready for the test and tune day next weekend. If we get it close to a working setup we can go from there. The guy we bought it from will be at the track to help with fine adjustments and will give us his setup notes from the past few years. I think we should be about ready to go with it!
We are going to keep his old kart around for a while. There is a kid here in town that has been having some problems, problems at home which have led him to getting into trouble. He has been hanging out with us to try to stay out of trouble. If his parents approve I am going to put an engine on our old kart and let him drive it a night or two this summer.
My daughter will miss the play day at the track, it is the same night as Prom. She was mad when she found out the date, she said if she hadn't bought that stupid dress she would go racing instead! That buys us another couple of weeks to work on getting her kart ready to go.

OK, new thoughts to work out with this kart. Had a chance to mess with it for the first time tonight. We got everything set up and got it on the scales tonight again. It has a weight jack on the left rear. To raise the cross I adjusted the weight cross to drop the left rear wheel down, if I am correct this will raise cross. I wanted to get another 2% of cross in it, but the wheel is already pushed all of the way down, so my thought is I need to adjust the front wheels so I can raise the left rear and give us room to adjust as needed. So, I need to lower the right front wheel or raise the left front wheel, or maybe a little of both.
I looked over the front of this kart for the first time, and do not see the stack of washers on the spindles that the Ultramax karts had. As seen in the pictures I posted at the start of this, the front wheels have a long bolt that I can turn with a 9/16 wrench and a large nut that can be turned with a 7/8 wrench. The large nut looks to be offset, so I assume this is to adjust the camber, but where is the adjustment? Do I just turn the smaller bolt? I also don't see a lock nut, unless the large nut locks the bolt.
Just trying to get in my mind how the front end adjusts on this.

Cant figure out how to edit.
I figured out it is a bolt and the large nut is to adjust camber. I also found the washers on the spindle bolt. Pulled the bolt out and promptly dropped all of the washers. I put it back together moving 2 of the washers on the left front from top to bottom. If I am correct this will allow me to raise the left rear wheel giving clearance for future adjustments.
Problem now, when I tighten the spindle bolt, the steering gets very hard. The washers are slightly cone shaped. Is there a special way these go back onto the bolt?

Yes as long as you adjusted the left rear weight jack flush again before adjusting washers your thinking correct, did you try just not over tighten the spindle bolt ?

Cant figure out how to edit.
I figured out it is a bolt and the large nut is to adjust camber. I also found the washers on the spindle bolt. Pulled the bolt out and promptly dropped all of the washers. I put it back together moving 2 of the washers on the left front from top to bottom. If I am correct this will allow me to raise the left rear wheel giving clearance for future adjustments.
Problem now, when I tighten the spindle bolt, the steering gets very hard. The washers are slightly cone shaped. Is there a special way these go back onto the bolt?

Jacobsdad, Two of those washers on each spindle were machined with a 'shoulder'. The two washers with the shoulder should be one on each side of the spindle with the shoulder against the bearing. This prevents the large outside of the washer from rubbing on the bearing making it turn hard. Racing Promotors setup numbers above are a good starting point for you. We don't have a set up book around any more for your 2000 Legend Vision.

spindle washer.jpg

You must have the shouldered washers against the bearing. You can move the others around but always need one shouldered washer on each side.

The tri set on the bottom is a caster adjustment.
The top is camber.
That chassis could have adj king pins that would raise or lower spindels , can't tell for sure from the pictures . If it's got washers though that's unlikely.

The pictures are pretty clear, it does not have adjustable kingpins to raise or lower spindles. Washers only.

Got it, thanks a lot Legend for the picture and information.
Here is what happened. When I took it apart and dropped all of the washers several of the washers rolled under my work bench. When I got under my bench to get the washers and the caster block I came out with the right number of washers, but tonight see none of them had the shoulder on them. Well, when I dropped them the washer with the shoulder fell under the kart stand and dropped inside of one of the wheels that was on the floor. I had picked the wheel up and looked, but the washer was sitting IN the wheel. When I got under my bench I must have somehow found a regular flat washer that I must have dropped some other time. So, I threw the flat washer in my bolt bin and put the correct washer on the kart and it works great. Maybe it is telling me that it is time to clean the shop.
Thanks for the picture and the information!

Back