what negative affects would increasing the left front camber affect besides grip?

BakaRacer

what negative affects would increasing the left front camber affect besides grip? increasing the camber pulls the tire off the ground causing less friction and more speed correct?

Either
-I'm right ( i highly doubt that)
or
-super secret highly complex trade question was asked and no one wants to say

Adding more LF camber just increases weight jacking, the LF is drove into the ground not picked up

When you turn the wheel left, the left front tire gets pushed down and right front tire gets pulled up, I think

when you turn left the lf lifts the lr taking bite out allowing you to turn in. some go 0-1/2 degrees. this transfers weight to the fr and rr.

You might pick up some roll speed in the straights if you are running a lot more camber, but you would lose some corner speed as a trade off. When you're considering LF is only a 5.00 or 4.50 tire to begin with, I doubt you're going to see a significant increase in MPH by leaning it harder.
Some of the responses seem to suggest a "caster" change rather than "camber." I'm not sure that's what you were asking or not.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
26 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

BakaRacer, did you get your question answered and do you understand how increasing LF camber will change how the LF tire is presented to the ground? It sure takes the fun out of trying to answer and help, if you don't let folks know. ... :)

or... do you have a grip on when you turn left, how the angle of the LF tire changes? If not say so and we'll try to help you see it or point out where you can find it on the net.

Your right about how reducing friction will make it roll better and give you more speed. The thing is does changing the angle of how the tire engages, really change total friction. Think about this. If you put weight on the LF with one camber and the weight is spread out, it's still carrying the same weight that it would if the weight was not spread out. What causes more friction, rolling a tire with all the weight concentrated or spread out. If you concentrate the weight won't there be more weight per square inch? And if you spread out the weight won't there be less weight per square inch? Seems like the friction might end up the same and both would roll the same, don't it?

Then you can start thinking about the actual rubber on the tire too. It gets squished into the track differently, depending on how weight is concentrated, don't it? Then when you start thinking about how the rubber is squished and weight is concentrated, if you reduce the weight at the LF, ain't the RF going to have to have more on it? And then won't it change how the RF is squished into the ground? Won't what you loose at the LF to make it roll better, make the RF roll worse?

Yep, it's fun to think about. The real answer is you not only have to adjust how weight is moved around on the tires, you also have to adjust the tires themselves. If you have a soft tire with a lot of rubber on it, ain't it going to squish more then a harder tire with less rubber? That's why tires are cut. Cutting off rubber you don't need to squish for grip is what really makes a tire roll better. Being as fast as you can be with your tires is about spreading out the weight as much as you can on each of the four tires, to get each to do what is needed and only what is needed, when needed. Ain't this fun? ... :)

but heck i'm usually wrong about stuff because it is all just IMHO and ain't necessairly right anyway. ... :)

ps... another thing about grip. You only need enough grip to handle what ever hp you have or what ever speed you already built up on the track. More grip then you need is the grip which causes friction to slow you down. The other side of the story is less grip then you need is also what causes you to slow down.

Quoting me:

"Real understanding is knowing what things will do for you and also what you need to do."

The easy part is knowing what things will do for you. You can do that by having a good memory or writing things down. The tough part is not only knowing what to do, but how things work.

The kart will be the fastest when you are running at the limit of grip, which to me is when you can drive it into the turns and not know whether its going to grip and stick or go off the track lol. I like for mine to have just enough grip to keep the kart on the track in the turns, that is when its the fastest. Loose is fast

Sorry i haven't read this in a couple days I took a trip to Martinsville to watch the big timers drive like they are still racing go karts lol
I'm trying to learn the cause and affects of the changes. I need to gain speed from setup and was wondering if that would have any significant affect.
thanks for the help and info guys

Back