What to expect with 22lb springs

Ducar 212

I seemed to have fixed my rpm issues with a bad intake manifold gasket. I got 7680 rpm tonight on a pretty small oval track. I will be racing at a 1/6 mile track in a few weeks. What I'm curious about is what rpm I could get with only 22lb springs.... I'm running a 265 cam and to be competitive, turning 9000 would be necessary. I might be ok at 8500 but probably wouldn't be winning any races..... I guess I'm asking alot out of such a light spring, but when I built that motor I was only running small tracks. Just curious what I might be able to get

A 265 cam usually targets around 7500 rpm. You would be better off changing cams if you want to run those rpms or either gear it to the current cam. RPMs dont win races

A 265 cam usually targets around 7500 rpm. You would be better off changing cams if you want to run those rpms or either gear it to the current cam. RPMs dont win races
True, I'm only guaging the rpm on my competitors, I ran a 6 to 1 ratio to get that rpm at a very small oval. We usually run a 5.3 to 1 at miller and I think if I could make it to 8000 I would at least be able to hang with everybody. I say this because I've had engine problems that have limited my rpm. A leaky intake gasket was keeping me from getting past 6800. The motor would break up really bad, but that all seems fixed now.

Back