wheel bearing oil

Jeff04

Just getting back into kart racing after about 35 years away. Can someone tell me the best wheel bearing oil? Running dirt ovals. My front hub bearings have removable dust seals. Not sure on the rear axle. It's a PRC Seraph. Someone told me Tri Flo but not sure which one. Thanks!

I use a mix of PRC bearing oil and triflo, has worked great for over 10 years.
It doesn't take a lot per bearing, couple drops, spin it and go.

I always used LPS 2. It's a penetrating lube, no need to take the seals off. It's a good chain lube too! It's available at MSC. LPS21 spray.jpg

TriFlow for me.

If you do a search on these forums (upper right hand of your screen), you'll find several threads discussing this topic.
There are good arguments for grease over oil as well.
Use what you are confident with...biggest thing is keeping them clean and maintenanced!

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I pull the inner seals off the front and like the rear bearings with the hole in the outer race.
Every once in a while I put in a couple of drops of the same synthetic oil I run in my engine.

This should be part of your after every race maintenance. Also how and what you clean them with is important also. My method may be wrong but it works for me. I spray the bearings out with WD40 first. Then blow out with air. Next I use carb cleaner rather than brake cleaner as brake cleaner removes oils from metal even though bearings are replaced before the brake cleaner would probably cause any problems I am guessing. I blow this out with air and then a couple drops of either triflow or Marvel Mystery Oil to finish up the process.

Ha ha ha , yea tri flow is something most like . Tiller. We use ball bearings 😉 .
Something is better then nothing . I believe in oil and grease .

I think that Brian Carlson Said it best. Keep them clean!!!! keep the sand out. use anything that you believe will help. Grease, oil, exotic mixtures, I have ran all of the above and cannot tell any difference between running a grease packed bearing right out of the box and a set of $400 ceramic bearings with $20 per 1 oz bottle of factory oil.
The only thing I have really noticed is that the grease packed bearing run longer without any grit or sand getting into the races.

I think that Brian Carlson Said it best. Keep them clean!!!! keep the sand out. use anything that you believe will help. Grease, oil, exotic mixtures, I have ran all of the above and cannot tell any difference between running a grease packed bearing right out of the box and a set of $400 ceramic bearings with $20 per 1 oz bottle of factory oil.
The only thing I have really noticed is that the grease packed bearing run longer without any grit or sand getting into the races.
Because grease is what your supposed to use, it suspends the dirt, and tri flow etc...doesn't have compression properties

Back