Wheel hop…

spincycle

Raced yesterday on a dirt indoor oval, most honestly, it had been several years since the last time I raced on a dirt track that had that much bite, grip, and rubber down in the corners. I was running about 5 to 6 tenths faster a lap than I ever had in any times I’ve ever raced at this track. Problem I was having was “wheel hopping”…a couple times, it felt so bad that I didn’t have full control of the kart…what typically is the cause, and the typical adjustments/fix? Thx! Dr

Only 1 wheel hoping ?
I’m not sure, would need to see a video to be able to answer your question…as I’ve had more time to think about it, maybe it was a case of me not hitting the rubbered groove consistently with the right side tires…like I said not a track condition we see in this area very often…most tracks are dry high sand content clay where you’re always struggling to find/make bite…

I’m not sure, would need to see a video to be able to answer your question…as I’ve had more time to think about it, maybe it was a case of me not hitting the rubbered groove consistently with the right side tires…like I said not a track condition we see in this area very often…most tracks are dry high sand content clay where you’re always struggling to find/make bite…
Was it actually a RUBBER GROOVE ? that's pretty rare to see with Karts , was it karts only racing ? when you came off the track your tires looked like you ruined them but come to find out you could brush the rubber coating the tires picked up off with your hand ?

My thoughts are tires and camber .
Wrong tires and too much camber .
Hop was hard to stop for us .
2018 prc minecon 0 LF camber 2- RF camber maxxis pinks 50 duro 1.5 rear stagger 1.25 front stagger 7lbs right sides 5lbs left sides 45.5 nose 60 left 62 cross

Was it actually a RUBBER GROOVE ? that's pretty rare to see with Karts , was it karts only racing ? when you came off the track your tires looked like you ruined them but come to find out you could brush the rubber coating the tires picked up off with your hand ?
Real fine black residue on towels after cleaning with tire cleaner, trail from track exit to scale was coating the tires with powdery dirt so wasn’t able to get a real good look at the tires…

Several classes of wing karts/flat karts with grooved Hoosiers were running along with the open tire classes…

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpeg
    IMG_0009.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 35
Were there a good many guy's prepping tires did you notice ?
I don’t know, I ran the open class, and where I was pitting was where a lot of the Hoosier tire karts were…mine were rolled internal with millenium red, wiped during the week with trac tag topaz and then was wiping at the track with venom purple and all duro’ed 50

Prc factory specs say 0 LF and 3.5- RF…😳
Roger . We a rarely were under 3.5 .
On a tight indoor though I feel . 75 and up is worth trying to help it get off the left rear and jack weight to the RF .
Prep Choice could be an issue as well .
Slip grip slip grip is the problem either there's not enough bite in the tires or the chassis is not staying Loaded . Are my thoughts.

Roger . We a rarely were under 3.5 .
On a tight indoor though I feel . 75 and up is worth trying to help it get off the left rear and jack weight to the RF .
Prep Choice could be an issue as well .
Slip grip slip grip is the problem either there's not enough bite in the tires or the chassis is not staying Loaded . Are my thoughts.
LR tire showed a lot more wear than the other corners, I would tend to agree with your “slip then grip”,”grip then slip” line of thinking, that’s the best way to describe what I was feeling….roll center of chassis too high for that bitey of a track surface? I’m 6’0 and 240 with back of the seat about 8 3/4 above rear axle…

You are 6', 240 lbs. on a Minecon, first off the Minecon on a good track isnt capable of handling a guy of your size, you just cant get the right numbers in that kart to make it work for you when the track bites up. Secondly, even to get it close to working for you, you need much more cross, more left , and more camber, both tires.
That kart was not designed for someone your size, but on a very low biting track theres a possibility it can.

2018 prc minecon 0 LF camber 2- RF camber maxxis pinks 50 duro 1.5 rear stagger 1.25 front stagger 7lbs right sides 5lbs left sides 45.5 nose 60 left 62 cross
5-7 on air? Too low of psi can sure make a car take a hop, sure, but if you're missing the line/rubber at points, going up on air and/or split will make it better int he rubber, but worse when you miss it. Was it rolling the right sides under - was that why you went up on right side air and not left side also?
More left side % can tame it down on high bite.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
35 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

5-7 on air? Too low of psi can sure make a car take a hop, sure, but if you're missing the line/rubber at points, going up on air and/or split will make it better int he rubber, but worse when you miss it. Was it rolling the right sides under - was that why you went up on right side air and not left side also?
More left side % can tame it down on high bite.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
35 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I think it was a case of my driving, missing the line some laps and hitting it others, as I said, it’s been a LONG time since I had raced on a track that was biting that hard, in some ways, I reminded me of the one and only time I tried running on coke syrup…and I don’t want to talk about how that ended up…😳

Back