Wheel Runout

Skidude

I have a few VanK wheels that have up to 0.040” runout, measured where the bead seats on the wheel. That seems excessive to me. What do most consider acceptable?

I have a few VanK wheels that have up to 0.040” runout, measured where the bead seats on the wheel. That seems excessive to me. What do most consider acceptable?
Depends a lot on if you are cutting the tire that it's mounted on too.
I posted a video on our Youtube channel about a year ago documenting wheel run-out issues.
At one time, I was told that Douglas polished wheels were kept to .005" run-out while their cnc machined wheels were .002" or better. The P-Zero series from Van-K were advertised as zero run-out. I don't know what spec their other wheels are made to.
With the lack of wheels (supply since Covid) and competition in the market, wheel quality has dropped off dramatically. For a while, we were just happy to get ANY wheels, let alone be picky about quality. We still have a couple here that need returned with serious weld flaws that are leakers.
I believe Van-K is working hard to fix this situation but consider that there are already 1000s of wheels at distributors and dealers that were rushed through production just to try to meet the demand. Now that things have smoothed over a bit, I'm sure the quality will come back where we expect it.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
35 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com