When to scuff tires ??

Mrdavid78

Ok so Heres my last one (for now) on tires. I hear and see guys scuff/sanding thier tires either on a "machine" mostly and/or by hand.. So my question is when to sand them ??

racing promotor

First that is not scuffing tires that is re finishing tires, scuffing is bolt them on the kart and run them a 10 to 12 lap heat cycle, you re finish them when new, and after being raced depending on how grainy they look, might be after every race, might be every other, might be every 3 races, you also flip them on the wheels to keep even wear and the best shoulder to the inside.

jaymancds

Premium User
Ok. What does 1 use ? I was told that 1 could use a 80-100grit sandpaper. By grainy u mean ??
Typically anything between 36 and 220 depending on how rough of a surface you want. I prefer 120.

Grainy is referring to the surface of the tire. A tire that needs resurfaced will be one of two things. It will either be blistered, or what some call grainy. Blisters are obvious. Typically occur when you have had the tire too soft, and will typically form on the inside edge of the tire as that is where it is "cutting" into the surface. Grainy is when a larger portion of the tire is showing slight wear from heat. It will not be as severe as blisters, but will be a rough surface that is hard to clean and not overly great for traction. Think of soft sandpaper like patterns in the rubber. When these two things happen, the tire needs sanded back to being smooth.

Also called buffing the tire, it will almost appear as if it looks like a crosshatch, if it is done on a machine, I always cut from the inside to outside on right sides and opposite on left sides, and if on a machine alway use a cooling agent such as water or winded works well

What Earl said on Maxxis ^ if running on higher bite tracks. I still use a belt sander to finish everything, but go over them several times with several progressively finer grits, then finish our Maxxis for most southern tracks by hand with 400g.
Low/no bite tracks you can use a courser grit and be alright.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The OP is on Burris.
Unless the track is rock hard or bites up (or syrup) I usually don't finish Burris any finer than 220g.
For soft tracks that don't build any heat, leaving them course(r) helps build some temp in the tires akin to siping a big car tire. Just plateau finish them so the rough finish doesn't just sit on top the track and take too many laps to wear in.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com