When to set camber?

Marcis71

Reading other threads brought up aquestion: because the LF is toed out, do you set the camber with the wheel straight ahead before setting toe, or with tire toed out as it’s raced? I’ve always set it after setting toe, never gave it a thought.

everything you do will effect everything else. camber should be set with everything in a Race ready condition. Driver in kart with helmet etc. hands on steering wheel . if you change toe you will change camber. you change the pills in the rear or you adjust air pressure or if you have different sized tires it will effect everything else including camber cross left etc. changing camber will also effect cross left etc. you will need to check everything and be ready to readjust several times. its a pain but its worth it.

Interesting idea . We always set as raced . With toe . But toe out the right frt .
Biggest question is how much camber change do you get with the toe of the lft frt vs straight.

when you start to turn the wheel caster and kingpin angle are changing everything the frame is flexing weights are being jacked etc. when you move that toe it is just like moving the steering wheel. i changed a pill 1/16 in the rear it took the camber in the RF from 275 to 300 then when i corrected the camber the cross changed. you end up chasing your tail.

Set Castor
Set Camber
Set Toe
As long as you don't make huge changes in camber or toe, then there should be no need to check Camber after setting it correctly. BUT large changes in Camber and toe can throw the other off. Using a Proline you can check both at the same time, which is why we use it.

Rear pills or adjustments are always set before adjusting the front, unless we decide to try something different then the front is checked to see how much it changed if at all. Then we scale for percentages from there.

Back